How can I delete a task in Jira and my Administrator can't do it too

Marzia Iacopini September 2, 2022

I create a new task in Jira, but now I need to delete it. I ask to the administrator but he can't do it too.

How can we do this?

3 answers

0 votes
Danny Grenzowski _Rewind_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 6, 2022

Hey @Marzia Iacopini, before deleting any Issues, I suggest you consider backing up your Issues using a service like Rewind (if you are using Jira Cloud. Disclosure - I work at Rewind!)

As others have mentioned, deleting Issues is permanent and can't be undone, so it's best to make sure you have backups in place before granting delete permissions.

Danny

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 2, 2022

I caution you about deleting issues. 

When you delete it is GONE. Hardly a week goes by without someone wanting to restore an issue. Deleting issues will come back and bite you when it is the most inconvenient. I suggest closing with a resolution value of Deleted anything you want to delete. I implement a special transition only the project lead can execute and it requires filling in a reason field from a select list (such as entered in error, OBE, Duplicate, Other) and explanation text.

Deleting issues destroys historical data. Missing issue numbers will eventually cause a question about what it was and why was it deleted even if it was done properly. Missing data always brings in the question of people hiding something that may have looked bad.

The only viable way to restore an issue is to create a new instance of JIRA and restore a backup that has the issues. Then export them to a csv file and import them to your production instance. You will lose the history.

None of my users have delete permission.

If you insist on deleting issues you need the delete issue permission

0 votes
Marco Brundel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 2, 2022

Hi @Marzia Iacopini ,

Whether a user is allowed to delete an issue depends on the permissions set up in the jira project. And specifically the 'Delete Issues' permission.

Permissions can be found under Project settings.

Regards. Marco

Documentation link

Rilwan Ahmed
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 2, 2022
Like Marco Brundel likes this

Suggest an answer