How can I change one Story or Task's parent Epic within one project?

Pavel Kanazirev July 6, 2021

The preconditions are - we have a Classical Kanban Jira project. Some Epics opened and a new Story created by mistake without a parent Epic.

Looks like the Epic Link is locked on purpose:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/unlock-a-locked-jira-software-custom-field-779158866.html

While googling - some forums stated that drag and drop option from some boards is feasible but I couldn't drag an existing Story.

So without having this field unlocked and been not able to drag a Story to a new parent Epic - what could be an acceptable approach for changing the parent of a Story or a Task that is either not a child of any Epic or a child of a different epic?

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 6, 2021

Hello @Pavel Kanazirev

Do you have the Backlog screen enabled for your Kanban project? And do you have the Epics pane enabled in that backlog screen? I don't know what articles you might have found in your search, but for clarity the drag and drop feature to add a Story to an Epic is done on that Backlog screen and requires the Epics panel to be displayed.

If you are using that methodology, what happens when you try to execute that? Are you getting any error message?

A Locked custom field in Jira just locks the field from having configuration changes made to it. Depending on the field, you may still be able to change the value of the field for individual issues. For Epic Link, you should be able to edit that field directly in the issue and set it to the Epic you want it to be. Have you tried that? If so, what happened when you tried that?

Yes I do have the Backlog screen enabled.
When I try to drag and drop the Story the result is that it changes its location but it doesn't change its parent.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 6, 2021

When you are executing the "drag-and-drop" where are you dragging the story from, and where are you dropping it?

You need to click on the story in the lists of issues in the Backlog screen and you need to drag it over to the Epics pane and drop it on the Epic where you want it added.

Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 8.06.47 AM.png

That should add the story to the Epic without changing the Story's position in the list of issues.

Thanks, Trudy,

At my side - the view does not look like yours. Here is a screenshot:
StoryDrag_Drop_EpicParent.PNG

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 7, 2021

Hello Pavel,

You will need to go to the Board Settings and enable the Epics pane. Only a person who has been designated as an Administrator for the board can do this.

Board Settings is found under the ellipses button in the upper right corner of the board (or backlog) screen.

Screen Shot 2021-07-07 at 8.12.42 AM.png

After selecting that, select Columns and you'll find the switch for turning the Epics panel on and off. Turn it on, as shown in this image.

Screen Shot 2021-07-07 at 8.14.32 AM.png

Suggest an answer