Our current project is the latest in a line of historical projects over the years. In 2019, we had ProjectA, which we closed down in Aug 2020, and moved everything over to a new classic project Project B. In January 2021, we moved to the classic project Ecomm Old. In March 2021, we created a new next-gen project Ecomm, and moved everything there.
We've been running on the new next-gen project for a few sprints and our reporting has none of the historical data from before we created the next-gen board -- even though the next-gen board also contains all the tickets from ProjectA, ProjectB, and Ecomm Original. I am most interested in the team velocity but I am also interested in the burn-ups and burn-downs to see the historical data for scope creep and effectiveness of our estimates.
The new project doesn't have any of the old reports, but neither do any of the old projects.
Based on my investigation below, it seems like many of the tickets created in previous projects may not have been properly attributed to the later projects -- particularly the current next-gen Ecomm project.
How do I regain my historical reports from previous projects on my new next-gen board?
In the interest of keeping my original post short, I am cutting out some details here and adding them as the first response to this post.
This is a lot to get through.
Per this page:
"Completed, planned or active sprints: Sprints won’t move from a company-managed project to a team-managed project. The issues that were in your company-managed project will be added to the backlog of your team-managed project."
"Reports: Data for your project's Velocity report won't be saved. The Velocity report will show that no points were completed in past sprints.
Report history: All reporting history is lost in this migration process. The Burnup report and Velocity report won't be migrated."
That seems to explain your issue with lack of historical reporting data.
In Company Managed (classic) projects, sprints are associated to Boards, not to Projects. When you move issues from one project to another that does not move the sprints from one board to another. Note that a sprint can appear in a board other than the one in which it was created, if the sprint contains issues that are within the scope of the board.
I think you are running into one of the challenges that come from the design of Team Managed and Company Managed projects being fundamentally different.
@Trudy Claspill Thanks for your response. I hadn't paid attention to that distinction -- team-managed vs company-managed -- because it didn't occur to me that the new one would be any different than the old one. Certainly, there didn't appear to be an option for ownership while setting up the new project. I don't recall a warning about the difference while performing the migration.
I just checked and you are correct: the old project is company-managed and the new project is team-managed.
Do you think it would resolve my issue if I created sprints in the new project to cover those past months and reassigned the old tickets to these?
I'm not sure that would really help. I think it would depend on whether or not you could manipulate the Start and Completed dates for the sprints in the Team Managed project. Did those old issues show up in the Team Managed project backlog?
You might want to see if you could experiment with different issues and different, test projects if you have that option.
Here are some additional details of my investigation:
1. The velocity report on the next-gen Ecomm contains all of the sprints going back to the beginning of Ecomm Old but they are all at 0 commitment and 0 completed for the previous "classic" Ecomm Old sprint. It does not contain sprint info for ProjectA or ProjectB.
2. Burn-up, burn down, and cumulative only have sprint data for the new next-gen Ecomm project.
Next, I went over to the issue navigator and I searched for a January sprint,
sprint = 266
... and all of the correct issues show up 👍.
Then I added criteria for the new next-gen project,
sprint = 266 and project = Ecomm
...and nothing showed up 👎. Since I moved everything over from EComm Old so I would expect this to have results. Moreover, if I click into the Sprint #266 tickets, they have the correct, new project identifiers (ECO-444) 👍 and have the correct Ecomm project listed in the breadcrumb 👍.
I added the old, classic project,
sprint = 266 and project = "Ecomm Old"
... and nothing showed up 👍. There isn't anything left in Ecomm Old so I wouldn't expect anything here.
I changed it to just search the new project,
project = Ecomm
...and only tickets that were originally created for ProjectA and ProjectB were returned👍👎. These tickets should be returned since they were rolled over, but why isn't there anything from Ecomm and Ecomm Old?
I searched for just the classic project
project = "Ecomm Old"
and nothing was returned 👍.
I searched for
project = ProjectA
and all the original tickets from ProjectA and ProjectB showed up. This appears to give the same exact results as searching for project = Ecomm. Huh?!?
I looked at some of the tickets that were created and completed in EComm Old. They all have the correct Ecomm project listed in the breadcrumb. Their history all resemble the following:
This seems to corroborate that the tickets were moved to the new project, though the searches in Issue Navigator suggest otherwise.
Thanks for reading this far.
Project managers know this problem: A “mountain of work” lays in front of you, and you don’t know how and where to tackle them. Different to-dos lie ahead, but just one task after the other can be ha...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find an event
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.Host an event
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events