Hi! Can i delete the summary field as a compulsory field in my epics?

alexandra.lcortijo October 31, 2019

Hi! I know the difference between epic summary and epic name, but i dont need it. Can i delete one of them as a compulsory field  to create my epics ? I dont need it at all. Thanks!

3 answers

0 votes

What a pitty, it is redundant, at least for us. Because finally the long description you have it in the "description field"

But thanks for the answer.

Pete Singleton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 31, 2019

It's not redundant - it's effectively the title of your Jira issue.  The description should be for long text - but the Summary is a useful title that shows on Dashboards, Kanban boards etc, and can be used to quickly search for issues.  

For us is the same. I understand that for some project it is useful. But really not for us, both are the same. And for us it´s more and double work than effective. But i respect your opinion.

Pete Singleton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 31, 2019

If both fields are the same, it shouldn't be double the work - just use Summary and remove the Description field from your screen.

0 votes
Pete Singleton
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 31, 2019

As above, Summary is the bare minimum requirement for creating an issue in Jira, it cannot be removed, renamed, or made optional.

Similarly, Epic Name is required for Epics (as well as Summary).

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 31, 2019

you can't delete summmary, JIRA requires the summary field to create an issue. I'm not using Epics so I don't know about the epic name field. Have you looked in the field configuration to see if it is required there and tried making it optional?

Suggest an answer