HTTP Status 405 Error after upgrade

andrea price July 28, 2022

I just upgraded JIRA Software/Core from 8.21 to 9.1.  We are able to log into JIRA to open tickets, and we can directly access tickets.  However, when we try to access administrative menus such as Projects we get an error -

HTTP Status 405 - Method Not Allowed

Type Status Report

Description The method received in the request-line is known by the origin server but not supported by the target resource.

Apache Tomcat/9.0.63

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Kris Jacobs July 29, 2022

I think I have found the problem on our instance.  I upgraded Jira Software from 8.x to 9.1.0, but Jira Service Management is still at  4.20

So I'll need to get JSM up to 5.10 and go from there.

Fixed.

I had to run the installer at the OS level for JSM 5.10.

This page is what got me in trouble:  https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/upgrading-jira-installer-938846937.html

"If you're upgrading both Jira Core/Software and Jira Service Management, upgrade Jira Core/Software only. You'll later upgrade Jira Service Management directly in Jira, without a separate installer."

There was no facility to upgrade JSM "directly in Jira" after I upgraded Jira Software to 9.1.0

Like # people like this
andrea price August 5, 2022

Kris - thanks for your input.  That worked for me.  Oddly, I was still prompted to update Service Mgmt in JIRA Applications after I ran the executables and brought JIRA back up.  At least I got that far this time - last time I couldn't open any administrative screens.  Next step...the cloud migration.  :)   

Like Kris Jacobs likes this
Kris Jacobs August 5, 2022

You're welcome Andrea!

0 votes

I am experiencing the exact same problem, exact same scenario as Andrea's original post.

I narrowed it down to my two SERVICE Projects - SOFTWARE Projects work fine.

Jira Service Management, on premise install.

Browse Projects Page

Click on the Maintenance Project, URL = https://jira.ourdomain.name/browse/MAINT

URL changes to https://jira.ourdomain.name/projects/MAINT/queues which displays the Tomcat error page:

HTTP Status 405 – Method Not Allowed

Type Status Report

Description The method received in the request-line is known by the origin server but not supported by the target resource.

Apache Tomcat/9.0.63

0 votes
Benjamin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 28, 2022

Hi @andrea price ,

On your upgrade report, was there any reported issues? Are you able to get to the troubleshooting and support page to see if there is any health issue? Also, take a look at your jira logs to see on further details on the issue.

Also, try logging into incognito incase something is cache.

-Ben

No reported issues on my upgrade report.

Instance Health on Troubleshooting & Support looks good.

Running Log Analyzer now.

Thanks Ben.

Like andrea price likes this

Suggest an answer