Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Get the Summary and Status of linked issues Edited

Hi Jira Community!

I was trying to create a simple way to check the linked issues and the respective status of a given group of issues.

I stumbled upon some articles here where all of this is done by using the ScripitRunner plugin, but my organization doesn't have this plugin.

While digging into the Jira fields I found some fields that can do the trick but haven't manage to find any information on Atlassian page mentioning them.

I'm talking about the 

-Linked Issues.issuePriority

-Linked Issues.issueKey

-Linked Issues.issueSummary

-Linked Issues.issueStatus

For what I can see these fields seem to always be updated with the information of the respective linked issued and so anyone can use them to cross-reference the issue with the linked issues information. Can someone confirm that there are references in the documentation for these fields? Are they really automatically updated or is there any pitfall of using them?

thank you

Tiago Ribeiro

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hello @Tiago Ribeiro ,

The issue data you are looking at is metadata related to the API references in the linked issue calls for issue links covered in the Developer documentation here:

This data is going to be a backend resource avaliable for development of add-on applications but is not visible on the front end as a direct field, on the front end this is meta data is used for the rendering capabilities in functions like the hyperlinking references in the issue key or the status and resolution info displayed on the primary issue that has the link to display the additional data in the issue link pane. 

As an example its the rendered data used in this section of the issue view pulling that metadata from the API calls to the corresponding link:

Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 5.25.06 PM.png

If you are looking into generating reports and populate lists containing the additional metadata the options would be to use an existing app or create a plugin that calls the above noted endpoint into its reporting capabilities in a custom app. 

If you want to build out a plugin app I recomend starting at the following documentation:

Alternatively looking into add-ons, You had noted ScriptRunner as one possible option avaliable to look up and render this content in app, but your company does not have it currently installed, so an alternative Free option avaliable would be to look into the atlassian owned and maintained extension for Google Sheets, Jira Cloud for Google Sheets (Official) that would allow you to pull in the desired data to a sheet and manipulate and build out reports as needed in the spreadsheet directly using the live Jira data.

To do this in sheets the fields SubField data can be expanded, either by lookin in the apps side navigation pane under edit Fields and search for issuelink and select the avaliable subfield options like this:

Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 5.49.18 PM.png  Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 5.37.12 PM.png

The avaliable Sub Field options for issue links are:

• Linked issue
    • issuelinks.id
    • issuelinks.issueId
    • issuelinks.issueKey
    • issuelinks.issuePriority
    • issuelinks.issueStatus
    • issuelinks.issueStatusCategory
    • issuelinks.issueSummary
    • issuelinks.issueType
    • issuelinks.linkName
    • issuelinks.linkType

OR you can run a =jira() formula in a sheet to pull across the data formated as:

=jira("jql", "columns", offset, limit)

In the example below I am pulling the same data as the screenshot above with the following formatting which includes all the avaliable sub field references for the linked issue plus the original issues Key Type and summary at a 0 offset limited to 100 results:

=jira("project = potato and issuetype = story and issuekey = POTATO-168","issuekey,issuetype,summary,issuelinks,issuelinks.id,issuelinks.issueId,issuelinks.issueKey,issuelinks.issuePriority,issuelinks.issueStatus,issuelinks.issueStatusCategory,issuelinks.issueSummary,issuelinks.issueType,issuelinks.linkName,issuelinks.linkType",0,100)

Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 5.44.43 PM.png

Check these options out and let me know if this helps or if you have any follow up questions.

Regards,
Earl

Hi @Earl McCutcheon

Thank you for your answer.

I'm using exactly Jira Cloud for Google Sheets, and just wanted to make sure the fields could be reliable, your detailed response was really helpful.

Thank you!

Tiago Ribeiro

Suggest an answer

This widget could not be displayed.
DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Marketplace Apps & Integrations

The origin of Dashboard Hub: Atlasboard

First of all, I'm going to introduce myself. My name is Gorka, I work as product manager in Appfire Although this is my first public article in the community, I've been around since 2013. I starte...

323 views 4 19
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you