Get number of days from ticket start to specific status

mhenderson August 24, 2021

I'm looking for a way to calculate the average number of days between when a jira ticket is "picked up" (marked as "in progress") by a member of the team and when it is moved to a specific status (NOT resolved, but a custom status like "released").

I don't need the time logged or anything, simply the number of calendar days.

Any ideas on how to do this?

Huge thanks in advance!

6 answers

2 votes
Yuliia_Borivets__SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 7, 2021

Hi @mhenderson 

In case you need to find out when an issue has moved from one status to another, you can check Time between statuses by SaaSJet. The add-on tracks transition time between statuses (e.g. from "in progress" to "done"). It also helps to set such calculation conditions as first/last transition and to/from status.

To get the number of days, choose the decimal hours format. Then export the report to excel to calculate the average.

0 votes
Saranya Raja _QA_
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 28, 2023

Where are you automating this? Can you pls share location

0 votes
Emre Toptancı _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 8, 2021

Hello @mhenderson

Our team at OBSS built Time in Status app for this exact need and it is available for Jira Server, Cloud, and Data Center.

Time in Status allows you to see how much time each issue spent on each status or assigned to each assignee. You can also combine statuses into consolidated columns to see metrics like Ticket Age, Cycle Time, or Lead Time

You can calculate averages and sums of those durations grouped by issue fields you select. 

tisCloud_StatusDuration_LeadTime_with Estimates.png  tisCloud_StatusDuration_LeadTime_Average.png

tisCloud_StatusDuration_LeadTime_Average_TimeGrouped.png  tisCloud_StatusDuration_LeadTime_Chart.png

The app calculates its reports using already existing Jira issue histories so when you install the app, you don't need to add anything to your issue workflows and you can get reports on your past issues as well.

The app has custom calendar support. For each report type you can define your own calendars with your own working days, working hours, holidays and timezone.

Time in Status reports can be accessed through its own reporting page, dashboard gadgets, and issue view screen tabs. All these options can provide both calculated data tables and charts.

Using Time in Status you can:

• See how much time each issue spent on each status, assignee, user group and also see dates of status transitions.
  • Calculate averages and sums of those durations grouped by issue fields you select. (For example, see average InProgress time per project and per issue type.)
  • Export your data as XLS, XLSX, or CSV.
  • Access data via REST API. (for integrations)
  • Visualize data with various chart types.
  • See Time in Status reports on Jira Dashboard gadgets

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1211756/

EmreT

0 votes
Bloompeak Support
Marketplace Partner
September 1, 2021

Hi @mhenderson ,

It is not possible with the built-in Jira functionalities. For this exact need, we developed Status Time app. It provides reports on how much time passed in each status and show status entry dates.

Once you enter your working calendar into the app, it takes your working schedule into account too. That is, "In Progress" time of an issue opened on Friday at 5 PM and closed on Monday at 9 AM, will be a few hours rather than 3 days. It has various other reports like assignee time, status entry dates, average/sum reports by any field(eg. average in progress time by project, average cycle time by issue creation month). And all these are available as gadgets on the dashboard too.

Here is the online demo link, you can see it in action and try.

If you are looking for a free solution, you can try the limited version Status Time Free.

0 votes
Iryna Ihnatiuk {Appfire}
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 30, 2021

Hi @mhenderson ,

If you don't mind using the add-on for this, please take a look at our plugin - Issue History Collector. It seems like what you're looking for.

Regards,
Iryna
Anova Apps Product Team

0 votes
Justin Tomczak August 24, 2021

Hello, 

You can use automation to accomplish this. I set up 2 date time custom fields:

• Pick up date
  • Completed Date

The first part of the automation is below:
Automation part 1.png

I set the trigger as any transition, and I am using an if/else statement to check the status. When you hit the "In Progress" status it will update the "Pick up date" field with the value {{now}}.

I am using the "Done" status but for your case, you would use "Released". This will set the "Completed Date" to {{now}}.

At the bottom I am re-fetching the issue data so we can calculate the days between. 

For the second part of the automation:

Automation part 2.png

I set up a single-line text field called "Calculated Date" to store the difference between the dates. 
After fetching the data again, we branch to the current issue, check to make sure both dates are not empty, and then I am editing "Calculated Date" to the following: 
{{issue.Pick up date.diff(issue.Completed Date).days}} Days

The end result will look like this:
End Result.png

You can see more about calculating dates on this KB article:
https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/use-smart-values-to-manipulate-and-format-dates/#calculating-the-difference-between-two-dates

isfigueiredo December 4, 2022

I will try you solution @Jtomczak 

Saranya Raja _QA_
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 29, 2023

{{issue.Pick up date.diff(issue.Completed Date).days}} Days - This is not calculating days. that fields is empty even after applying this. Pls help.

Suggest an answer