Get Epic Percent Complete and Count Complete on dashboard

Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 22, 2022

From a Jira board, we can glean good information from the Backlog view when viewing an Epic in the Epics panel. We get a great progress bar and on-hover can reveal the percent complete for that epic and the number of story points earned (assuming you have your board's estimation statistic using story points).

When viewing the Epic issue in full-screen, we get a good progress bar that displays a green, blue, and gray fill regions based on the total number of issues in that epic that have been completed, in progress, or open (of course, based on your status and mappings). On-hover, it reveals the count of issues for each fill color.

These are both wonderful scales of performance. I can get total story points delivered from an Epic and its total issue count delivered.

But, how can I present this data on a Jira dashboard? I'm open to any Atlassian Add-On to achieve this, if needed. I see no such means to get this valuable data.

8 answers

1 vote
Ivan Garcia _Appfire_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 17, 2022

Hey @Paul Alexander 

Our commercial solution, Dashboard Hub for Jira, offers a brand new Epic Progress gadget that you can easily configure and add to your custom dashboards. 

Screenshot 2022-10-17 at 16.05.20.png

Also, feel free to see it on a live Agile dashboard here! (In the second slide). This dashboard is included as a pre-defined template.

Other features include pre-defined dashboard templates, JQL Custom Charts, External Share (with which I shared the dashboard above), +70 gadgets, and much more. In short, everything you need to create powerful custom dashboards.

Remember that you can try it free for 30 days :)

Hope it helps,

Iván, Product Marketing Manager

0 votes
Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 18, 2022

Hi @Paul Alexander,

I am Marlene from codefortynine.

Another option would be our Marketplace app Quick Filters for Jira Dashboards.

With our app you can create interactive Jira dashboards and sum up any numerical value with the statistics gadgets and the pie chart gadget.

On the screenshot below, you can see the Quick Pie Chart gadget which aggregates story points per status, as an example.

On the top there's the Quick Controller gadget, which can filter the Quick Pie Chart gadget (and all other Quick Gadgets on the dashboard) dynamically (for "Epic Link" for example).

Our app is very easy to set up, because most gadgets resemble the Jira standard gadgets, but with advanced functionalities. 

You can try out Quick Filters for Jira Dashboards without installation on our demo dashboards.

quick-filters-jira_pie-chart-per-sprint.png

0 votes
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
October 17, 2022

Hi @Paul Alexander

just for future reference, here's another app that you might like: JXL for Jira.

JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view for your issues that allows viewing, inline-editing, sorting and filtering by all your issue fields. It also comes with a number of advanced features, including support for issue hierarchies (based on built-in parent/child relationships, issue links, or any combination of these) and sum-ups.

This is how this looks in action:

epic-sum-up-v2.gif

This works for all issue fields, and different kinds of sum-ups. (It's also worth noting that JXL can do much more than that: From inline issue-creation (in hierarchy!), to support for (nested) issue grouping, to conditional formatting. Disclaimer: I work on JXL :))

Hope this is useful,

Best,

Hannes 

0 votes
Teodora V
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 17, 2022

Hi @Paul Alexander :)

I'm adding one more solution to your list of suggestions - Old Street's Custom Charts for Jira

This app allows you to easily pull any Jira data and shape it into a functional and visually appealing report.

Your use case may be represented by 2D stacked bar chart charting by Epic link and grouped by Status Categories. You can also calculate story points or any other estimate if you want to see progress based on that instead of issue count.

You can see live examples on the Custom Charts interactive playground.

0 votes
Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 23, 2022

Interesting, quick responses from several vendors. Nice! I'm glad to see such close collaboration here in Answers...I will start to assess these options today. Huge thanks so far. I'm tired of folks telling me, in general, to look at the atlassian marketplace and just point me generically there to fend for myself. I appreciate the three options posed here by you three folks very much. I'll check back next week to advise where I'm at...

Ivan Garcia _Appfire_
Marketplace Partner
October 17, 2022

Hey @Paul Alexander :)

I hope I'm not late to the party! Please check out the solution I introduced.

Best wishes,

Iván

Like Gorka Puente _Appfire_ likes this
Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 17, 2022

I ended up choosing this app for my cloud tenant. It is amazing and provides multiple levels of hierarchy with both hours and story points getting aggregated up the tree.

Hierarchy for Jira | Atlassian Marketplace

Ivan Garcia _Appfire_
Marketplace Partner
October 18, 2022

I'm happy you were able to find a solution :)

Take care!

0 votes
Philip Hubatsch_APTIS_ September 23, 2022

Hey everybody,

You can do this with our app Epic Sum Up. We provide a dashboard gadget that enables you to display a variety of different metrics for you projects. 

You can sort, filter and edit information regarding time spent, completed issues within a hierarchy as well as a multitude of other (custom) fields. 

breiteres_dashboard_gadget.png

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Philip

0 votes
Rahul_RVS_Support
Marketplace Partner
September 22, 2022

Hi @Paul Alexander 

You can try out our add-on to create a dashboard for the progress of your Epics

Issue Hierarchy Reports 

Key features :

• Progress % on "remaining estimate" or "original estimates"
  • Edit Issue summary, time estimates, story points and assignee on the tree with real time updates in the progress
  • Rolled up percentage completion at all levels
  • Ability to add/remove the columns on the report
  • Group By Ability to get more out of the data

Epic Hierarchy - Gadget.PNG

0 votes
Eduardo Oliveira
Marketplace Partner
September 22, 2022

Hello @Paul Alexander - How are you? 

If you are open to using an add-on, take a look at this one - Mindpro Insights: Dynamic Dashboards & Reports for Jira.

Using this app, you can create dashboards in seconds in Jira using chart gadgets and dynamic filters.

You can track multiple projects and initiatives (including sprints, epics, and releases and measure progress using time estimation, story points, or issues count).

Sprint, Epic, Release Progress.png

Additionally, you can have an integrated view of the dashboard, and the issues list on the same screen and enable a hierarchy view to gain a more granular, precise view of your projects, releases, and filters.

If you want to explore more, take a look here: https://mindpro.solutions/insights-learn-more

Give it a spin, maybe can help in your scenario.

Best, Eduardo from Mindpro Team 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events