Exporting only specific fields which are needed

Amandeep Kaur Virdi July 22, 2021

Background of work : We use JIRA for bug reporting and the count of tickets is very huge. On exporting the file,  the size of the file is 50 MB. It takes an hour to download and 40 minutes to open. Simultaneously we work on many such projects. 

My question:  To reduce time consumed is it possible to filter out only those fields/ data which is required and then export the file. This would reduce file size and also time consumed.

Also please suggest from your end any other method which could be implemented to resolve the above.

5 answers

1 accepted

9 votes
Answer accepted
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 22, 2021

Hi @Amandeep Kaur Virdi and welcome to the community!

You can search from advance issue search for all the issues you want.
Then adjust column visibility, and then click export as a csv (with current fields). 

search and export.pngexport.png

Hope that helps!
Alex

Kaj Sennelöv July 22, 2021

Recently had to do something similar, and the suggestion made by @Alex Koxaras _Relational_ worked really well!

It will be limited to 1000 tickets though per export.
You mentioned you had a huge amount of tickets, so if you would need to export more than 1000 issues, you can find the workaround proposed by Atlassian here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/increase-issue-limit-for-excel-exports-in-jira-cloud-779160811.html 

Hope this helps too!

-Kaj

Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 22, 2021

@Kaj Sennelöv you have a point for the 1000 issues limitation! Thank you for pointing out! :)

@Amandeep Kaur Virdi try also the workaround that Kaj provided.

Like Kaj Sennelöv likes this
Ruturaj Patwardhan April 22, 2022

Thanks Alex for your answer. @Alex Koxaras _Relational_ 

I would like to add one point to Alex's  answer. 

That Tab "Column" will be appear only if we select "List View" List_View.PNG using

Change View ChangeICON.PNGbutton available on screen.

Like Quinn Campbell likes this
Susan Keithley August 15, 2023

Hi - I do not have an option for current fields. Just all fields. How can I get current fields?

Like # people like this
Brent Clark August 30, 2023

Same with me. These are my choices.

Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 09.25.48.png

Like # people like this
Kirsten Hess September 20, 2023

Hi Brent! I have the same issue. I don't have anything that says "Columns". Were you able to figure this out? Or find a way to only include specific fields/columns in your export?

Thank you!

P4bmartin October 11, 2023

It's probably helpful to note that the export with filter fields is not available in the new search in Jira Cloud. You'll need to switch back to the old search to have an export with only the selected fields.

Like # people like this
Kevin H November 24, 2023

I hit the same issue ref 'Export issue' (and only seeing 'all fields') :-(

I was able to open in excel via Apps > Open in Microsoft Excel, per the image and that works well.

Jira export - excel.png

This post also provide more info on exporting to Excel:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/App-Central/How-to-export-Jira-issues-to-Excel-and-CSV/ba-p/2540164

1 vote
Vasquez, Nate
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 28, 2024

You can do this - you just have to save your search as a Filter first. Once saved, go to the Filters dropdown, select your new Filter and then use Export from this page. You'll see an option for Exporting CSV (Filter Fields). 

Esa Helteenvuori March 6, 2024

Thanks Nate! This works! One can also select from Columns drop down menu, which columns are showing and exported.

Kristin Minneci
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 15, 2024

THANK YOU Nate!!!   We are using the new Cloud version and it seems like the easiest of things are either missing or so hard to find.

1 vote
Levente Szabo _Midori_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 19, 2021

Another option that you can try to export your Jira issues selectively from the Issue Navigator to Excel is Better Excel Exporter for Jira Cloud!

The 1000 issue limit can instantly be avoided by using an app like this.

Give it a try and also browse sample Excel exports to understand what can be achieved with Better Excel Exporter!

multi-issue-excel-export-menu-cloud.png

(Please note that Better Excel Exporter is a paid and supported app and I'm part of the team developing it.)

Dean Capp July 3, 2022

Or Atlassian could just build a less complex and more useable product . . . 

Like # people like this
Kirsten Hess October 11, 2023

I should have mentioned an existing FREEEEEEEE option within Jira

Like Lucy Dilts likes this
Lucy Dilts February 23, 2024

Atlassian again cares more about making money off its marketplace. They are CONTINUTALLY removing basic functionality and monetizing it via 3rd party tools/plug-ins etc.

What they fail to realize, is that many organization that are highly regulated WILL NOT allow integration w/ these non-regulated vendors.

We are in the process of moving off of JIRA for this exact reason.

Levente Szabo _Midori_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 26, 2024

@Lucy Dilts While I understand the frustration Atlassian's decisions can cause, I want to highlight that the most established vendors are getting more and more regulated. The most enterprise-ready apps like Better Excel Exporter must adhere to Atlassian and industry standards and achieve compliance like SOC2 and ISO 27001. We also have to adhere and answer to custom audit requests and compliance requests coming from individual customers if we want to be in business with them.

So again, the anger is justified to an extent, but the app vendor community has also grown and able to stand the scrutiny!

0 votes
Shelly Singh October 9, 2023

i dont have the option in the list that indicates 'Current fields'  how can i add that? 

Levente - i also dont have this option you mentioned 

Another option that you can try to export your Jira issues selectively from the Issue Navigator to Excel is Better Excel Exporter for Jira Cloud!

0 votes
Alok Nath IN December 21, 2022

Have similar issue my search returns lot of fields when running API how to filter or get required fields in the JSON output

Alok Nath IN February 9, 2023

figured out a way we can mention field and get those only in response worked for me sample http://jira.company.com/rest/api/2/search?jql=filter=812356&fields=key,summary,description

Suggest an answer