Exporting Data from Jira Cloud - What are all the sprint fields?

Colette Marshall September 10, 2019

When I export data from Jira, there are sometimes several "sprint" fields.  I assume this to be a ticket that either moved from sprint to sprint or was planned for several sprints. 

My question is:

How can I only export the sprint in which a ticket was actually worked on not for what is was planned for?

For example:

If i have 3 sprints:

Sprint 3 - Active Sprint

Sprint 2 - Closed Sprint

Sprint 1 - Closed Sprint

I have a ticket that was planned for Sprint 1, worked on in Sprint 2, and it rolled over and completed in Sprint 3 because it was under estimated for story points and acceptance criteria was not met. 

When I export from Jira,  all 3 sprints show up, but I have no idea how to see where the ticket was actually worked on.  By the example, the result should be Sprint 2 and Sprint 3. 

Does anyone know any tricks to pull this date out?

Thanks in advance

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 12, 2019

Hello Colette,

Thank you for reaching out.

Indeed, the Sprint field will always return all the Sprints that your tickets belonged to until its resolution.

By default, there is no way to differentiate/identify what actions were performed in the ticket during each Sprint, however, you could use a text custom field to add this information. These would be the steps:

1 - Navigate to JIRA Settings > Issues > Custom fields and create a new text custom field to collect your Sprint history.

2 - Add the field as required to your issues, informing the team responsible for the ticket to always update it with the work performed in that Sprint.

Doing it, you will be able to know by this field where the ticket was actually worked on when exporting data.

Let me know if this information helps.

Suggest an answer