Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Epics under Initiatives in Advanced Roadmaps

I have Advanced Roadmaps. I have an "Initiative" in my plan and now I want to create Epics under the Initiative. I can do that from my plan. Works fine, but to increase efficiency i have two questions:

1) Can I make automation that when I create an Epic under the initiative that certain fields from the Initiative are copied to the Epic?

2) If I create an Epic in a Jira project, can I make it from there a child of an Initiative in de advanced roadmap plan? I mean a real child, not a link from type child, because than the Epic doesn't show up under the initiative in my plan.

2 answers

Thanks for helping. I checked the different filters and all needed projects are also included.

I do see the Initiative and the Epic, but the Epics shows up as having no parent. From the advanced roadmap plan I can bring it under the initiative, that all works fine but not efficient.

To me it seems an issue with integration of Advanced Roadmaps with Jira. The Link types in Jira are NO hierarchy links. And from Advanced Roadmaps down to Jira it works; I can pull the EPic under the Inititiative but the other way around from Jira making an epic a child of an Initiative in Advanced roadmap doesn't work. Hopefully Atlassian is going to solve that sooner or later.

For the first question, the answer is Yes. I have done this successfully with standard Jira automation as an action when the issue is created. The key is that you must have the parent link field on the create screen and select the initiative as the parent link.

There may also be a second option using JMWE add-on. Although I have not done this specifically, in the Event Based actions it appears that I can set up automation that when an issue is created it can copy from the parent issue in the Portfolio Hierarchy. Using JMWE helps to reduce the count of automation executions under Jira automation. We have just started using event-based actions and I really like this tool.

For the second question you are able to make the epic a child of an initiative by using the Parent Link field. That field must be added to the screen, as noted in the answer to the first question. This I know works for certain as I just did this action today. You do have to refresh the plan to see new issues, of course.

I'm not sure, but if I make an Epic from Project X child of an initiative in Project Y, and I look at My plans in Advanced Roadmaps the Epic shows up in my plan under the epics without a parent inititiave regardless the link a created. I need to drag the EPIC under the initiative in order to establish the hierarchical relation and that is what I want to avoid, because that is a lot of work.

I think that the same case with the automation you suggested. Links do create links, but they don't create a hierarchical relation. 

It seems to me that the integration of advanced roadmaps with Jira is one-way.

The issue is most likely the filter/board used for the plan, which is excluding the project of the initiative. We have several epics in that scenarios because the initiative is under a different project. You could alter the configuration of your plan to include a filter that has just the specific initiatives you want to include from that other project, instead of all issues from that other project. The relationship is there, as you can see on either the epic or initiative. The problem is probably the Advanced Roadmap plan.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

Upcoming changes to epic fields in company-managed projects

👋 Hi there Jira Community! A few months ago we shared with you plans around renaming epics in your company-managed projects. As part of these changes, we highlighted upcoming changes to epics on...

14,222 views 35 44
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you