Epics Showing on Backlog and Kanban board

lindsay_boss December 4, 2023

I've been searching the community but couldn't find a guide to help or the exact same question. I have a Kanban board with the swim lanes organized by Epic. However, I put one of the Epics in the backlog but it's still showing on the kanban board. I have two questions. 

• Is there a way to have items in the backlog and not on the kanban board at the same time?
  • Once an Epic has been completed, how do I remove it from the Kanban board?

Thanks for the help in advance!

1 answer

0 votes
Inès Noel
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 4, 2023

Hello Lindsay,

If the Epic appears on your Kanban board, it means that you have at least one issue in the status "Selected for Development". If all the issues associated with the Epic are in the backlog, the Epic won't appear on your board --> unless your Kanban Backlog view is not activated. 

• Is there a way to have items in the backlog and not on the kanban board at the same time?

You can decide to add the Kanban Backlog view. It means that you won't have a column named "Backlog" on your board and your Backlog will be available in your project sidebar. With the Kanban backlog, you can plan your team's work in a dedicated space away from the board.

2023-12-04 16_58_42-FC board - Agile board - Jira.png

With the Kanban Backlog view, you won't have Epics appearing on your board as long as all the issues from that Epic are still in the Backlog status. 

You can activate the Kanban Backlog view, from your Kanban board settings > Configure board > Columns. You just need to drag and drop the "Backlog" status from the "Backlog column" to the "Kanban Backlog" column. 

2023-12-04 17_02_01-Settings.png

• Once an Epic has been completed, how do I remove it from the Kanban board?

I have not tested the options but I thought about those two : 

-  with an automation rule stating that when all issues (related to an epic) are in the Done status, you can close the Epic as well. 

-  (to be tested) through the subfilter of your board available from your Kanban board settings > Configure board > General. You can write a query to only view Epics that hasn't been resolved. 

2023-12-04 17_07_11-Settings.png

Does that help you ? 

Kind regards,

Inès 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events