ERROR - Issue can't be created due to the error/s [ The reporter specified is not a user.; ]

Sinartis Support June 17, 2022

When trying to bulk create issues in Jira with the CSV import, I get this error:

ERROR - Issue can't be created due to the error/s [ The reporter specified is not a user.; User '***' does not exist. ]

I tried using the User ID (found in "People" tab -> *** -> url bar) and the collaborator name (ex: "John Doe") and nothing worked for me.

Could it be a permission issue ?

Thanks for your help,

Santiago Sugrañes 

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 17, 2022

Hi @Sinartis Support 

You need to use the accountId. 

Got to Settings > User Management

Search for the user and click on the name. 

The accountId will be the long string of letters and numbers and dashes after /users/

@John Funk, thanks for your help.

Is there an alternative way than having to go through User Management Settings?

Ex: Fetching it trough an API or another page where I could find it?

PS: I guess you mean the string between "/o/" and "/user/", because the string after "/user/" is the same that you can find in "People" tab -> *** -> url bar (wich doesn't work).

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 17, 2022

Sure the field is called accountID and you would probably be able to access it using the user's email address. 

Thanks so much :)

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 17, 2022

You are very welcome. 

2 votes
Magdalena Zhisheva
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 23, 2022

Just to mention that after couple of tests on our side I was able to solve this as during the map I perform the User ID CSV column to the actual user Jira Field, i.e. 

Assignee ID -> Assignee

Reporter ID -> Reporter

Watcher ID -> Watchers 

It also works for each custom Jira fields which are containing user list.

Hope it will help someone!

Best Regards,

Magdalena Zhisheva

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events