Downloaded Jira (Server Installation) not Launching

Yan Mazor January 26, 2015

Hi, I'm trying to work with Zephyr, but it's not available on the Cloud. I downloaded the server application, but it doesn't start. Any ideas?

Thanks!

11 answers

0 votes
Ed Scharrer January 27, 2015

which OS are you running under?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2015

If it even begins to start, it creates a log. If you're not getting that, then there's something structurally wrong with Tomcat, and you need to read the log for that. The Tomcat log is called Catalina.out and should be in the jira installation directory ( *not* the jira home directory) under /log To check for other things on 8080, run "netstat -plant | grep 8080" (That's straight off a unix box, the flags might be different for you depending on OS and distro, and if you're on windows, you won't have grep because it's a crummy OS)

0 votes
Yan Mazor January 27, 2015

Hi, Nic, thanks a lot for your response. No, there is no actual log, looked for the file you mentioned - the program doesn't create one. And how can I see if another program isn't using port 8080? Thanks

0 votes
Shanye
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 27, 2015

Hey Yan,

You mentioned that, the installer "goes through the installation process, but then it offers to be launched in a browser." This is the correct behavior, as JIRA is a launched as an Apache Tomcat web application - it is accessed through a web browser at, by defaut, http://localhost:8080/. It sounds like JIRA may have started up correctly, if you're seeing the message to access it there.

Try opening JIRA in a web browser and log in as the administrative user created during installation. Once logged in, click the 'cog' icon in the top-right corner of the screen, then select 'Add-ons'. From that screen, you should see 'Find new add-ons' on the left-hand sidebar - click there. The resulting screen should have a search bar in which you can enter 'Zephyr' to search for and install the add-on.

As has been mentioned here, if you are unable to visit JIRA in a web browser for some reason, we can only make guesses as to why it might not be starting without seeing the log files from your JIRA server. These can be located at <JIRA-HOME>/log on your server. Also, if JIRA isn't starting, it may be worth raising a support ticket at https://support.atlassian.com/ for assistance - include a description of how you installed JIRA, what you see when you try to open JIRA in a web browser (including any error messages you're running into), and the log files I just mentioned

Hope that helps!

Yan Mazor January 28, 2015

Hi, Shayne, thanks for such a detailed answer. It works now, and I'm running Zephyr now

0 votes
Silviu Burcea
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 27, 2015

Do you happen to have any application running on JIRA's ports(defaults 8080 and 8005) ? If you do, please change the ports for one of them(the other app or JIRA) and eventually put an Apache in front of them and map them to appropiate url names/subdomains.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2015

(Sorry, that's a very jokey response, I am just trying to say that we need more information. I should also have said "look for the file called atlassian-jira.log in the "logs" directory below the "home" directory for JIRA)

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 27, 2015

We need you to read the log file to find out what JIRA is doing when it tries to run. Forget Zephyr for now - that is something you will add later. But you need to work out why your JIRA is not running before we can worry about that. And there's no information here we can look at to help you get it started - it's probably something iffy in your setup, but we can't even rule out a penguin chewing your mouse cable without more information!

0 votes

Let me start off saying that I need JIRA in order to run Zephyr, test management tool. As you know, there are two ways to install JIRA - using Cloud and using server. If I use the Cloud, JIRA works fine as a bug management tool, but there is no trace of Zephyr, I cannot create any test cycle and cannot add test cases.

If I try to download JIRA as a regular application, it goes through the installation process, but then it offers to be launched in a browser (no Zephyr there, though I tried to download and install it) or I can start JIRA service through the Run menu, but then nothing actually happens - a command prompt windows pops up for a short while and disappears. So the question is, how can I start using JIRA as a test management tool (with Zephyr, for example).

Thanks a lot!

N.B. It's a trial period, of course.

0 votes

Let me start off saying that I need JIRA in order to run Zephyr, test management tool. As you know, there are two ways to install JIRA - using Cloud and using server. If I use the Cloud, JIRA works fine as a bug management tool, but there is no trace of Zephyr, I cannot create any test cycle and cannot add test cases. If I try to download JIRA as a regular application, it goes through the installation process, but then it offers to be launched in a browser (no Zephyr there, though I tried to download and install it) or I can start JIRA service through the Run menu, but then nothing actually happens - a command prompt windows pops up for a short while and disappears. So the question is, how can I start using JIRA as a test management tool (with Zephyr, for example). Thanks a lot! N.B. It's a trial period, of course.

0 votes
Pedro Cora
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 27, 2015

Yan, could you detail a little more the problem that you are facing to start JIRA? Any errors show up? Did you saw if there's anything in the logs?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 27, 2015

What does the log file say the reason is? 

Suggest an answer