Disclosure of information

Kishore Patel November 27, 2012

Over the past few days I have received a number of emails in relation to a password reset from our JIRA installation. Initially the emails where in relation to a password reset for the admin account but then they were in relation to my own account which was worrying. We have noticed that my username has then been used to perform a brute force attack on various other web applications that we host.

I have discovered that the hacker requested the following URL: /jira/secure/IssueNavigator!executeAdvanced.jspa which results in an issue navigator screen with no information however when the manage option is selected it shows a list of user created filters and this shows the Owner's name and username.

Can this disclosure of information be prevented?

Are there other pages which users can access without being logged in and could potentially disclose information?

2 answers

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 28, 2012

Here is an url what Atlassian does when security vulnerbilities are found.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Security+Advisories

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 28, 2012

If you have not done so, please contact support. There are security related tools that can access to pages, but they are only as good as the person designing the test cases.

Suggest an answer