Default template for Jira tickets

mojdeh.valadkhani November 8, 2022

Hi All,

I want to add a default template for some types of Jira tickets in order to keep all tickets in the same format and standard for the project.

For example: for another project in Jira on-premise, our Jira admin - who is not with the team anymore - adds a default template to bug tickets, any time user wants to create a bug ticket, the default text shows in the description to guide the user on what needs to be added in the description field. Since we had good results from this practice, would like to have it in a new project on the Jira cloud. 

Would you please guide me with a solution for this matter?     

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Hamza Chundrigar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 8, 2022

Hi @mojdeh.valadkhani 

Welcome to the community!

You could create/use automations for each issue type (template) to set the description on Create Issue event.

For example: you could use automation to create a template when a new issue (story) is created.

The rule would run when the issue is created and the issue type = story. Then you could use an action to edit issue field, such as the Description field with a template text

Where the template text could be something like:

As a <user role>, I <want/need/can/etc> <goal> so that <reason>.

h4. Acceptance Criteria # [add at least on acceptance criteria]

h4. Original Description Added on Story Creation {{issue.description}}

You could do the same for bugs and other issue types.

Alternatively, if you like you can also use an app/add-on from the Atlassian Marketplace to accomplish this. One example of such an add-on is Issue Templates for Jira

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or comments!

Hope this helps,

Hamza

mojdeh.valadkhani November 10, 2022

Thanks Hamza, can I specify this template for a project? we have different projects with Jira cloud, not all of them need this template 

Hamza Chundrigar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 10, 2022

Hey @mojdeh.valadkhani 

I haven't personally had a need to use this app (at least as of yet), but after skimming through the vendor's documentation, the answer is yes. 

You should be able to specify and create an issue based on a template that you define. It doesn't have to apply to all projects automatically. That is something you can control and will be able to select the project and more over sets of issues within the desired project to create an issue with a (custom) template of your choice.

Issue Templates for Jira Cloud: Create from template dialog

Furthermore, (if you ever want) you could also apply the template automatically using a post-function. Once you install the app, you'll have the Apply template post function which will allow you to automatically complete fields with values from the template after the transition is performed.

Issue Templates for Jira Cloud: Apply template post function

You can check out their documentation for more details. I noticed that the vendor offers potentially interested users the option to book a call with their support team in case you would like them to provide you with a demo.

Best regards,

Hamza

Like # people like this
mojdeh.valadkhani November 15, 2022

Thanks Hamza! 

Aleksandra Bosacka _Deviniti_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 28, 2022

Thank you, @Hamza Chundrigar for suggesting the Issue Templates app!

It's Aleksandra from Deviniti and I'll be happy to share further instructions :) 

If you need to restrict what templates are available for different projects, you can control their availability with the help of template-specific settings, as shown in the screenshot below.

As you can see, every template can be limited to a specific project:

Screenshot 2022-12-28 at 14.35.45.png

For more details about those settings, I encourage you to see this chapter in our online documentation:

Template configuration | Availability 

Cheers!

Aleksandra

Dassy Johnson March 31, 2024

I'm considering using Issue Templates for Jira templates Cloud for my project. Can you clarify how the Apply template post function works, especially in terms of automatically populating fields with values from the template after a transition is performed? I'd like to understand the process better before implementing it in my project.

0 votes
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 8, 2022

This currently isn't natively possible in cloud.  There may be some marketplace options, but you could do this as a workaround:

1. Create a custom field that will serve as sort of a mirror with the desired default text
  2. Add the custom field to a create screen
  3. Add the Description field to the View/Edit screens
  4. Create an automation rule triggered by issue creation that copies the custom field to Description

Thank you Mark, I'll try it, can I create it for the specific project?

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 10, 2022

Yes - You just need to make sure that the project is not using a shared configuration.

It is using the shared configuration, in this case, I think using this plugin would be the right solution for us,

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1211044/issue-templates-for-jira?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 10, 2022

Is there a reason you can't just copy the shared config and split off this project as an exception?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events