Custom Field with table -how to configure?

Rune Johannessen June 21, 2020

Hi,

I'm trying to configure a table in a custom field using Text Field (multi-line).

I'm apparently not doing this right, as my print screen below shows I'm not seeing the table in the Service desk field. 

Appreciate any input on what I'm missing.

Regards

Rune

Customer field with table.png 

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 23, 2020

Hello @Rune Johannessen

Thank you for reaching out.

Checking the screenshots provided, I believe you might be misunderstanding where the custom field description is displayed in the issue view. Please, allow me to provide you with some details to ensure we are on the same page:

The description of the custom field is used to explain what is the purpose of the field in the issue view and in the Custom field page. That being said, the custom field description usually appears at the creating/editing issue view below the field value box, where the value for the field should be added:

Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 16.35.55.png

In the screenshots you provided, you are pointing to the field value box where you should input the value for the field, not to the custom field description. That being said, if you want to add a default value (table) to the text field, you can do it by going to the option "Contexts and default value" in the custom fields page:

Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 16.48.06.png

For more information about default values, please check the documentation below:

Configure a custom field 

Let us know if this information helps.

Rune Johannessen June 24, 2020

Hi Petter,

Thanks for your clarification, most appreciate your response.

I do have a follow-up question, can the table be visualized as a "table with cells" in the initial issue create screen for the customer (in the Service Desk portal)? 

As it appear below is not intuitive for the customer to interpret it's a table. 

Jira table.png

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 24, 2020

Hello @Rune Johannessen

Indeed, I agree with you that the wiki format displayed in the create screen of the customer portal is not intuitive. 

Unfortunately, the issue create screen (For the Customer portal and Internal UI) use the Wiki markup renderer, and that's what causes the table to display in that format. We have a feature request opened to change this to Markdown format where the table would be displayed as in the view issue screen:

Add support to the markdown formatting on the create issue screen 

Feel free to vote and watch the suggestion to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.

As an option to make clear it is a table for your customers, we can only suggest including this information in the default value:

Please, fill the table below:

||Heading 1||Heading 2||
|Col A1|Col A2|

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Rune Johannessen June 24, 2020

Thanks again Petter,

I really hope Atlassian will prioritize issues like this. To be honest in 2020 this should not be an issue at all. These kind of view issues for the customer degrade the impression of this product. 

I've added my vote for the new suggestion. 

Rune

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
June 25, 2020

Thank you for your feedback @Rune Johannessen

Indeed, this behavior is a remnant from the old Jira renderer (Wiki Markup) that was updated to the new Markdown renderer (WYSIWYG).

I have added this community question as an internal comment in the feature request to ensure your feedback will be received by our PMs.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help with.

Like Rune Johannessen likes this
Ralf Becker September 23, 2022

I have a working custom field with tables in it and I copy this default content 1:1 to another field. In the new field it's not shown as tabel anymore but as markup. Do I have to activate markup somewhere?

Paul Taylor October 31, 2022

@Petter Gonçalves Did this ever get resolved. It looks like we are 2 years down the line here and the same problem exists - or am doing something wrong ? here https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-71890 you can see that this ticket is closed and @Marq Herrod is asking the same question - the one that was asked 2 years ago and the same one that we are both asking now. We should be able to create a table using markup in the epic issue create screen. 

@Petter Gonçalves and @Marq Herrod  I think i may have figured out the bug here.  I have an epic with two tabs. In the first tab I have several multi-line text fields that are showing properly as rich text fields ( ie with bold/italic etc controls ) they display markup just fine. on the second tab i have different multi-line text fields that do not have the formatting controls and they do not show markup correctly. @Petter Gonçalves do you known if this is a know issue ?

2 votes
Marq Herrod October 31, 2022

Hey @Paul Taylor so in my case at least it was a combination of things to get this working. 

Once you have the multi-line custom field setup you'll want to setup a default context/value for the projects/issues types you'll want this to work in. After that create an automation to populate the table.
Automation.png

Use the format below to build the table on the create screen itself using a smart value with the name of the field above the table formatting to ensure text entered during ticket creation is not deleted.

{{issue.YOUR.FIELD}}

|*Name*|*Type*|*Notes*|
| | | |

Finally the missing key for me was to change the field 'Renderer' engine within the Field Configuration settings To 'Wiki Style' as seen in the screenshot below (Path = Issues - Field Configuration - Name of Field Config for your Issue Type). Without this change no matter what formatting you use in the field config the table will fail to render. Hope this helps!
Renderer engine.png

thanks @Marq Herrod that is really appreciated - i'll give it a try

Like Marq Herrod likes this
Andrea Monico March 25, 2024

Thanks! This helped

0 votes
Zaldy Parian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 18, 2023

Hi @Rune Johannessen ,

Our Jira project also needs a custom field with table formatting in it. Could you please let me know in details how did you create a custom field with table in it?

Where would I put the single and double pipes? (| and ||) 

Thanks,

Chris Cook July 28, 2023

The double pipes separate the headers, where the single pipes separate the values. 

||header1||header2||
|value1|value2|

You can use the double pipes anywhere really, it seems

||Name||Value||
||name1|value1|
||name2|value2|

Chris Cook July 28, 2023

The double pipes separate the headers, where the single pipes separate the values. 

header1header2
value1value2

You can use the double pipes anywhere really, it seems

NameValue
name1value1
name2value2

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS