Custom Field not a JQL Filter Option

Danny Estes August 4, 2020

I have created a custom field called "Deploy To". This field has been in use for years, and renders correctly on issues.

When trying to use this field in a basic or JQL query, the field will not show up.

The most common resolutions for this issue involve tweaking the field's context, as its usually restricted to specific projects or issue types and the user needs to add this criteria into their query to gain access to their custom field. This is not the case for me.

The only (and default) context i have for my custom field is for "any issue type" and "Global context" (all projects). So the permissions are as open as they can possibly be.

image.png

Example of a basic query (Deploy To custom field is missing..)

image.png

Example of a JQL query (Deploy To custom field is missing...)

image.png

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 4, 2020

Could you check what the searcher for the field is?

Go to Admin -> Issues -> Custom fields and find your field, then use "edit details" from the drop-down menu on the right.  You should see Field name, description and search template - what is that last one saying?

Ah, one place i had not looked. It was using Search Template "None". I've updated it to use "Multi Select Searcher", and its working just fine now.

Thanks Nic!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 4, 2020

Fantastic!  It was a bit of a guess, because we hadn't looked at it before.  I was hoping it was that as it's an easy change but wasn't prepared to assume it would be that.

There is one more thing with it though - without a searcher, the field does not know what to write into the index and hence, has not.  So although it now looks searchable, existing data is not yet indexed.  Issues that are created or edited since you changed the searcher will become indexed and hence fully searchable, but untouched ones will not.

At some point, it would be worth running a full re-index across your system to get the old untouched issues up to date.  You don't need the fully locking indexing, just the background one (it may make things slow for the users, so do it out-of-hours)

Gotcha. I really appreciate your thoroughness Nic.

I'll run the re-index tonight and get everything up to date.

Cheers!

Ianis March 8, 2021

I had the same issue, Nic's solution work for me :)

Thank you very much!

Arvid Kongstad October 26, 2021

You're a legend, Nic!

Thank you for solving this for us 🙏

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS