Creating structure according employee availability

Contemplation April 18, 2024

Our company got several development working on few projects at same time. Developers are not strictly assgned to project, cause we are trying to use their working time as best as possible. So developers may be assigned for task from different projects.

Each project has its own structure in Jira and we got big problem with that - even if I create all dependencies between tasks, structure ignores dependencies on tasks, that are not in structure.

We have tried to create non-project structure for department, so lead could plan tasks for its developers, but it isnt work as expected - project-structures ignore time lag that developer works on task from another project.

Looks like structure isnt made for it, but what solution can I offer for departments to plan their tasks and build structures according to developers availability?

1 answer

0 votes
Matt Parks
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 18, 2024

Would it be better to just create a kanban board that contains all tasks that are assigned to the specific developers? Then you could configure the swimlanes by assignee to easily see what tasks have been assigned to each developer and where along the workflow the open tasks are.

If this solution wouldn't work, could you provide more detail about what specifically you are trying to accomplish and what problem you are trying to solve?

We got at least 5 structures with 1000+ strings for more than 1 year total duration from today, about 50+ developers and 6 depts.

Kanban board will be too massive, I guess, but i could be wrong

Problem is complex:

1. our company has projects that are using shared resourses (developers)

2. all projects planning is in Jira structures

3. if we dont link small tasks to epics - we cant predict time for release and requered human resourses

4. if each project manager use shared resourses of develorers without confirmation - we cant guarantee that compaty provide that resource, here could be collision in copmetition for exact developer, for e.g.

so, as I see, if there is an instrument, where we colud make task-chaines for each developer, and project-structures will receive all dates and updates from it in real-time, it will solve the problem

if there was an option to make Gantt Start Date and Gantt Finish Date end-to-end attributes in all structures that we use it would be perfect solution

Matt Parks
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 18, 2024

Are you using Structure Gantt? We no longer use it at my current company, since Plans give us that functionality, but I used it at a previous company and I seem to recall that you could set up the dates in any of the start > start, end > start, etc. configurations.

will look trough Plans functionality, thank you

unfortunately dates that are in "auto" mode on structures are not attribute of task, it is stored in structure, and "manual" mode ruins all benefits of using gantt 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events