Creating Sprints During CSV Import (Migrating from Rally to Jira)

Miguel Arana December 29, 2020

Currently, sunsetting Rally and moving projects into Jira. I have a couple questions:

1. Is it possible to create Sprints during CSV import? Is there a Sprint field I can map into Jira?
  2. Is there a way to specify Sprint start and end dates in the CSV file?

Thank you!

3 answers

2 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 29, 2020

Hi @Miguel Arana   -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I believe it is not yet possible to create a sprint from the import, or to set the sprint fields.  Here is the suggestion to add the feature, which you may review and vote for:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-5942

Best regards,

Bill

0 votes
Mario Coluzzi May 9, 2023

@David Bakkers 

JiraSprintBuddy  is reported by VirusTotal online scan as MALICIOUS with connections in the backgroung to several IPs.

• As you said you are the author please make the source code available to anyone as you say it is a free tool.
  • If not, I am forced to ask  Atlassian to take all your posts down as INTENTIONAL MALICIOUS and also ask them to block your ID.

Do not take it personally, it is only a measure about security

See the report here: 

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/7e99b7dd7b738c8966ab4600a7792f0ac532c99a8feeb59fa00c0a6a8d3f7de4/detection

David Bakkers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 10, 2023

Hello @Mario Coluzzi 

I gave this some thought. Originally, I just laughed at your absurd post, but having slept on it overnight, I have changed my mind.

Now I'm annoyed.

Having written countless freeware tools and utilities over many decades and publicly shared my code and, I came slowly to realise that the world is full of ungrateful parasites that, no matter how much you give to them freely and with good intentions, they will take what you give without a word of thanks and often criticise your work to boot. It's people like that make the whole endeavour of freeware miserable, but thankfully they are a pitiful minority.

If you haven't got the good sense to know that it's just a false positive, that's on you.

Why don't you write your own tool to solve the problem, share the code with the world, then you can lecture me on why I choose to keep my code private, and release it only as an unsigned executable that runs Base64 encoded PowerShell that's wrapped using PS2EXE and calls .NET Windows Forms assemblies directly.

Your petty, ill-informed grumbling is of no further interest to me.

Mario Coluzzi May 10, 2023

Hello @David Bakkers 

Correct because your first reaction was a laugh on a sincere concern when I said that an online virus scan reported your toll as MALICIOUS. Very unprofessional attitude should you ask me.

This virus scan, sorry to be blunt, should have at least get you "concerned" or get you genuinely surprised also because you purposely obfuscated every single line of your code before compiling into an .exe file . . . as per your latest explanation. But that came a way too late to trust your effort to make our Jira Admin a pleasant journey.

I did not question your years of experience nor the validity of the tool and the time spent building it, it was the way you have presented it to us.

Have a good day

M

P.S.: I did write in the end my own code in how to import Sprints, it ain't definitely good as yours but at least I see the bits running 

0 votes
David Bakkers
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 14, 2022

As a work-around for this problem, I've created a little Windows tool called JiraSprintBuddy that can import Sprints, with start and end dates, from a CSV file. It supports importing all the Sprints into a single Board on a Project, or multiple Sprints vis their IDs.

Go here to download a copy.

Apr 2024 - I've just updated JiraSprintBuddy to v1-03 and made the following changes:

• Added - Option to log all API responses for debugging
  • Changed - Removed the Jira type selection menu from the connection window
  • Changed - Sprint names are always limited to 30 characters, to comply with Jira Cloud and Data Center limits
  • Changed - No longer displays the Project Lead in the list of Projects

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events