Creat pop window to remind due date

binh nguyen March 3, 2014

Hello everybody,

I'm newbie in Jira. Could somebody tell me how to creat a popup window when an issue reachs the due date. All the notification methode for reminder that i search now are sending the email to user. It is possible to do it in javascript or i have to write a plugin for that. I still don't know which way i should go. Thanks a lot !

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 3, 2014

Depends on how you want to trigger it - there's no way to arbitrarily spam browser sessions (and you wouldn't wnat to anyway), you'll need a definite trigger - like viewing the issue?

Thanks Nic for your reply. What i need to do is to creat a popup window to remind the issue, i mean it will show automatic when a reminder time for that issue is set. What you mean is that it has to be trigger with an action on that issue?. Maybe there is another way for trigger?, or do you have another idea

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 3, 2014

That's what I mean - you need to think about when you want this pop up to happen for a user. What exactly do they do to get the popup?

(In general, I'd caution you against pop-ups - they're a pain in the neck for users and most of us click and ignore them unless they really are very relevant)

The thing i try to do is like Outlook of Microsoft. When you set a task e.g team meeting and the reminder time, it will show to all invited users e.g 15 minutes before meeting. I know it would not be easy to make that possible in jira but my chef has lots of projects to take care, and he want to be informed by the popup window not by email.

I unerstand what you mention but maybe there is only possible to to it by notification through email :(

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 3, 2014

That is a popup written by a client program on the users machine keeping an eye on the calendar.

Jira is a web application on a server, it can't push notifications to desktops like that, unless you have something running on the user's machine to poll or trap them.

With more recent browsers, you can get them to do something like that, but it mandates that the browser is running on the client machine, logged into the right account. If your user closes the browser, you're not going to get it.

I'd suggest you look into poking the notification you want into a client system so that it pops up for them.

Thanks Nic, i understand the problem to face with jira. We can't do it inside jira, it have to made from client side to poll the calendar.

Thanks you very much !!!

Suggest an answer