Connect Jira/Confluence to multiple Crowd instances

599media GmbH December 3, 2020

Hi,

is it possible to connect Jira/Confluence to multiple Crowd instances?

Company A manages the users of Crowd Server A and Company B manages their respective users in Crowd Server B -- both companies "share" a jira instance for several project-specific reasons. We'd like to connect both Crowd servers to this single jira (confluence) instance. Does this work? And if it works, is there anything special configuration-wise?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 3, 2020

Jira and Confluence both allow for multiple user directories, and those directories can be a mix of types.

The most complicated one I've seen recently was a result of merges of companies and internal business units,and when we looked at the Confluence user directories, they had:

• Main company LDAP
  • Business unit 1: Crowd server A
  • Internal directory
  • Incoming business 1: Crowd server B
  • Incoming business 2: Their LDAP
  • Business unit 2: Using their Jira

and a few others!

It worked fine, technically.  Their user directories were a mess, but they needed to get the merges of systems done before they had the time to review and revise their user directory set up.  This was a temporary situation, and they are gradually dropping all the incoming directories, working their way down to what will probably be "Crowd 1, Crowd 2 and internal".

If you are going to do this, there is one thing I would strongly recommend - if you have more than one service (you mention Jira/Confluence so that's at least two), make sure the directories are listed in the same order in all of the servers!

599media GmbH December 3, 2020

Thank you. Is there anything special about the SSO configuration?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 3, 2020

I suspect you might only be able to enable it for one of the Crowd connections. 

I've not tried - this particular client had decided not to try to (re)implement it until they'd sorted out their user base.  I expect to be asked when they've finished their consolidation, so your question is rather prescient - I might have an answer in February, but I don't yet!

Suggest an answer