Completed stories are showing up in the backlog. What am I doing wrong?

Rick Leffler February 3, 2013

Hello!

I'm having an issue where completed stories from the previous sprints of the same project are displaying in the backlog.

They don't have any story points associated and all of their associated tasks are complete.

What steps am I missing when starting/ending sprints?

ex:

Sprint 1:
Story 001 - As a developer, I can collect dog photos

• Task 001 - Research best places for dog photos
  • Task 002 - Subscribe to digital content sites for dog photos
  • Task 003 - Sort through photos and generate a top 10 list

Estimated time, 2 weeks

(8 weeks later)

Sprint 1 is long over. Story 001 and it's tasks are complete.

Now, currently on Sprint 4, I see Story 001 displaying in the Backlog.

It no longer has story points associated with it, and the history doesn't show that it was ever in Sprint 1.

Story 001 shows as "Open", but it hasn't been touched in 2 months. All of it's tasks are complete and there's no time remaining.

After Sprint 1 ended, I closed the sprint and started Sprint 2.

What steps am I missing here?

Thanks!

- Rick

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2013

Generally, the filter that pulls out issues for the backlog has this JQL part:

AND NOT {status in ("5", "6")}

Does your issue status match the status not found in the Done column?

All of my quickfilters appear to be correct.

However, I did notice that the stories in question are status: "Unresolved"

This doesn't appear to be the case for all stories, just a few.

Wouldn't closing the sprint, with all tasks complete, resolve the story?

Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2013

Issues that are not resolved when the sprint is closed is moved back into the backlog.

Wouldn't closing the sprint, with all tasks complete, resolve the story?

Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 3, 2013

Nope..

You will be taken to the Sprint Report. Your issues will move out of Work mode. Any incomplete issues will move back into the backlog and will be visible in Plan mode.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/x/jwG7E

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 5, 2013

Looks like I have to go back to what Timothy already said. You history shows that you have done a workflow change for the issue type and there can be new status that have come in. Go to the column mapping of the board and check if the issue status of Story 001 is actually one of the status in the last column of the board.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH/Configuring+Columns

0 votes
Rick Leffler February 5, 2013

Absolutely.

Here's a great example.

This story and all tasks were completed during Sprint 2. The last activity was Nov 26, the last day of the sprint.

http://i.imgur.com/w1JzKjR.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/NDOhuLN.jpg

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 5, 2013

Can you get screenshot of Story 001 and screenshot of the History tab of the same issue?

Suggest an answer