Cloning Epic, select to include child issues, but the child issues don't clone, only the Epic does

Sophie Bailey June 7, 2021

Hi Atlassian Community

I am having a problem when trying to clone an Epic and all it's child issues.

What I am doing to clone:

1. View the Epic
  2. Select 3 dots - select Clone
  3. Pop-up box has a tick box to include child issues - tick
  4. Click Clone
  5. View Cloned Epic and there are no child issues attached!

I have attached some pictures below as an example.

Can someone please explain why the issues under the Epic aren't cloning over and how I can fix this?

Thanks in advance!

Sophie

Pic 1: The Epic I am cloning with the 'Include child issues' check box selected.

Include Child Issues.PNG

Pic 2: The cloned Epic showing no cloned issues.

No child issues.PNG

11 answers

5 votes
abanks July 22, 2021

Hi Community, I am not sure how to pump this issue up the chain so I am commenting instead. 

I have the same issue with clone epics with child issues. While I appreciate there is an external app for that, it's an option within the program to do so. But it doesn't work.

Appreciate if the team will look over this. 

2 votes
Melissa Lato February 1, 2023

This can be resolved by Automation so for all those who do not want to buy a tool this has been answered via this link Clone-EPIC-amp-Stories-to-New-Epic-and-link-New-Stories image.png

Bernd Schneider February 1, 2023

Nice that you did Atlassian's work. But it seems you have to be Jira admin to do so.

Like _PO_ Roman Dianov likes this
dan_reitz April 13, 2023

@Melissa Lato I've built the same automation and am having a story issue.  The stories within the original epic are cloned, but they remain linked to the original epic.  I want them to be assigned to the newly created clone epic.  Is that possible via this automation

1 vote
David Mattatia July 19, 2022

Hello everyone. I have just spent a few hours creating an epic template with its child template issues just to realize I am unable to clone parents with children. I am on JIRA Cloud and UI does not even offer me the option. Anyone have any update on this matter?

1 vote
VS2018 June 7, 2021

I confirm that I also have projects with the "Command driven" type. In projects with the "company management" type, everything works now.image.png

0 votes
Janice Mcgregor July 11, 2023

I have the same issue - very frustrating...

As a "work around", I've set up automation so that every time I open a new EPIC with specific words in the title, it automatically opens the same child issues.

It's not the solution as it's still not cloning the EPIC but it's better than nothing.

0 votes
Tuccapuram_ Harish - Contractor March 19, 2023

@Melissa Lato  Same issue i have tried using automation, but the Stories stay linked to the old Epic and its not linking to the new epic which got created.
Does anyone know how to link the newly created stories to the newly created Epic?

0 votes

Same issue i have tried using automation but the Stories stay linked to the old Epic. Does anyone know how to link the newly created stories to the newly created Epic?

image.png

Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 1, 2023

Hi @Melissa Lato,

I am not sure if this works with Jira Automation, sorry. But if you don't find a solution, you could try Deep Clone for Jira.

With our app it is possible to link to the cloned parent when bulk cloning several issues at once. You simply select the desired outcome in the Bulk Clone dialog.

deep-clone-for-jira_link-to-cloned-parent.png

Thanks but I am not looking to purchase an app as i believe it will be possible using automation i am just missing a step or a bit of JQL.

0 votes
Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 9, 2022

I understand that most of you don't want to install a Marketplace app for this use case. However, if someone is urgently looking for a solution, I would like to refer to our Jira cloud app Deep Clone for Jira.

With our app you can clone epics and larger issue trees, including their child issues. 

Deep Clone is free for instances with up to 10 users. 

You can also try to clone epics using Jira Automation: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Cloning-Epics-including-stories-Jira-Automation/qaq-p/1969797

Or search for alternative solutions in the Atlassian Marketpalce: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?hosting=cloud&product=jira&query=clone%20epics

0 votes
Janice Mcgregor November 8, 2022

I have the same problem - I can't clone epic with its child issues.  When will this be fixed?

0 votes
Mario Ivan Elizalde June 6, 2022

Hi!

Does somebody knows if this is still a known issue? or if it is supposed to be working now?

Thanks!! 🙏 

0 votes
Nishanth Thimmareddy _Appfire_
Marketplace Partner
June 8, 2021

Hi @Sophie Bailey 

You can use Clone Plus for Jira Cloud to clone an epic, its issues, and their subtasks with estimates also. 

I'm the product manager for the app. If you have questions or feedback about Clone Plus for Jira, please get in touch with us directly.

Regards,

Nishanth T

Tara Macomber October 20, 2021

So it's a completely separate app that I need to do this if you're on the cloud?? 

Louise Napoli November 4, 2021

Agree this is very annoying.  If Jira has a checkbox to include the child issues, why does it not work??

Like Bernd Schneider likes this
Ted Walker November 8, 2021

It's been 4 months. I don't want to spend $50-100 a year for a third party to fix a broken checkbox.

I will contact support.

Like # people like this
dominika_komorowska November 23, 2021

Hey @Ted Walkerany response from the support? 

Bernd Schneider August 25, 2022

Ok, I see: this is another ticket nobody of Atlassian seems to care about. But anyway: I also want to clone an Epic with child issues and for me I don't even have a pop up box to select 'include childs'. My pop up just let me change the name.

Jamie Carey October 25, 2022

same problem - no option to select child issues

Gonzalo Garrido October 30, 2022

same problem - I can't clone epic with its child issues. 

Catalin C July 11, 2023

Hello, I find this very dissapointing, not being able to clone an epic with everything in it.

Moreover the solution of using an external app to do this basic task seems for me unacceptable. 

What is the point of spending tens of thousands of $ on a software that cannot do basic stuff?? 

Like # people like this
Bernd Schneider July 11, 2023

If you are able to convine your management to exert pressure on Atlassian, that would be good. I couldn't do that. In this forum there are issues which celebrated their 18th birthday without any response of Atlassian. They simply don't care as long as the customer pays.

And that's not the only basic stuff Confluence isn't capable of. Ever tried to use Compare Versions of a page? This just works for very tiny changes. If you are using macros and more difficult changes the Compare function is just unusable. But Atlassian doesn't care for that either.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events