Changing issue rank in Advanced Roadmaps not working for some issues

Kathy Hart
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 10, 2022

I'm changing rank on issues in a Plan using Advanced Roadmaps. 

The issues come from several different projects, but all the projects are company-managed software projects. 

When I committed the changes, all the issues were updated except 3. I get this message on the final 3. 

Issue rank issue.png

Contacting my administrator doesn't help, because I AM the administrator. LOL

I'm trying to decide what the "unknown reason" could be. The only thing I can think of is that the issues have Security applied so that only the Assignee and Reporter can see them.

Would this affect Advanced Roadmaps ability to alter the Rank?

Thoughts?

Other reasons that might cause an issue with ranking?  

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 10, 2022

Hi @Kathy Hart - Are these 3 issues all in the same project?  If so, were you able to successfully adjust rank on other issues in that project?  Another thing to look at is whether they are all in a single input source.  

Basically, I'm thinking that maybe one of your sources is a board that's board filter isn't set up to use rank.

Kathy Hart
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 10, 2022

The source for the roadmap is a saved filter of all tickets assigned to me. 

All three are in the same project, and those are the only ones in the project that I have access to. 

They are not shown on a Board anywhere. In fact they are excluded from a board by a label. 

I checked the Permissions scheme and the Security scheme for the project they are in, and both include 

• Project Role (atlassian-addons-project-access)

in all the relevant positions, which should allow the roadmap to make changes to them. 

Could the problem be that they are NOT on any board and therefore cannot be ranked? 

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 10, 2022

Could the problem be that they are NOT on any board and therefore cannot be ranked? 

Yes. That would be my thought.  I've found other instances where Roadmaps is handicapped by how the boards are set.  For example, if you use a filter as your source and that filter ties to a project that has both a kanban and a scrum board, advanced roadmaps will not allow you to set estimation by story points.  So, there's a bit of "devil in the details" in some of the configuration elements of advanced roadmaps.

Like Kathy Hart likes this
Kathy Hart
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 12, 2022

Well, I tried adding a board to the project where those tickets are located. But rank doesn't even work in that board, although the board says it is using ranking. 

It's a mystery. Guess I'll put in a Support Ticket for it. 

Kathy Hart
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 12, 2022

Finally got it. 

Created the Kanban Board. Made sure order by RANK ASC was part of the query. 

Still didn't work at that point, see previous comment. 

I went into the columns and removed a bunch of extraneous Statuses, leaving only ToDo Status in the To Do column, only In Progress Status in the In Progress column etc. 

Suddenly, ranking on the board worked. Like Magic. 

Then Roadmap was able to Rank the tickets that wouldn't rank before. 

No idea why that worked, but there you go. As you said, the Devil is indeed in the Details. 

Thank you for your help @Mark Segall 

Suggest an answer