Changing a Card Layout

Anders Drew
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 26, 2018

I want to configure where the fields appear on my JIRA Cards. I can find where to add or remove fields, but I need to move them around the screen. Can anyone point me to the right documentation for this? I can't find it anywhere.

3 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

5 votes
Keri
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 27, 2018

Hey Anders, 

Welcome to the Atlassian Community! 

Here's the information from the documentation, Customizing Cards

You can configure cards on a board to display up to three additional fields. The fields can be different for the Backlog and Active sprints, if you are using a Scrum board.

To add fields to cards:

1. Click the Jira icon (, or ) > Projects > then select the relevant project.

2. Go to your Scrum  backlog, Active sprintsKanban backlog (if enabled), or Kanban board.

3. Go to ••• > Board settings and click Card layout.

4. Add or delete fields as desired.

5. Enable the Days in column toggle to display how many days an issue has been in the board columns.

Cheers, 

Keri

Anders Drew
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 27, 2018

Keri, thanks for your reply, but my question is about changing the location of fields on the cards, not adding or removing the fields.

Like Rajiv Kalra likes this
Keri
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 28, 2018

Hi Anders, 

Sorry about that! The only layout customization is adding the fields - once added you can drag the order of them to specify the layout. 

There was a feature request listed out here which details the devolopment teams plan in terms of customization. At this time there doesn't appear to be any further details around layout customization.  https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-3922

I did a search through the available add-ons and it doesn't appear that anything is available to modify the layout specifically. 

Cheers, 

Keri

Anders Drew
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 2, 2018

Keri,

Then I must ask why the details in the "What's Changed" section of the New Jira issue View documentation (https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracorecloud/the-new-jira-issue-view-938040503.html) includes a screenshop with fields such as Scope, Attachments and Subtasks in the main panel, while on my issue cards these are all relegated to being jammed into the right-hand panel, with the main screen being reserved only for "Activity" and Comments?

Rey Wright
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 13, 2022

For anyone looking: if you are in a "team managed project" (should show up in your board on the bottom left), you cannot customize the fields that display on cards, at least on the Kanban view.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Marek Sodolski July 20, 2021

Hi @Anders Drew , Thanks for raising your question. I have probably same issue and did not find an answer for it in the community pages so far.

E.g. how can I remove this grey oval from the card view, since I'm "only" interested in "Remaining story points" (visible above the issue type).

@Andy Heinzer Can you share your pov on it please?:) THx, Marek

Screenshot 1.jpgScreenshot 2.jpg

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
July 20, 2021

This is not exactly the same problem as the original post, but I can see the relationship here.  That gray oval is expected to show the estimate value for that issue on the board.  There is no way to remove it from this kind of board. It is hard-coded to appear on these kinds of boards. Although you can go into Board -> Board settings -> Estimation and change what unit of estimation is used for this board to potentially change what value shows here.

However I have not found any means to completely hide gray oval from the card. This is not a field that I would expect you to be able to add/remove from the card layout section.  I found an existing feature request that seeks more control over customizing card layouts in regards to estimations over in https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-12553 however I am not certain that this encompasses your request here.

Deleted user July 20, 2021

Hi Andy,

Can you please add to that request to make all fields toggleable? I'm not sure why any of these are forced to show up on the cards. For example, my team doesn't use `Priority`, but have a prioritized Backlog (as Agile methodologies suggest). We also don't add estimates to subtasks as that would cause a conflict of hours vs story points and that's a mapping that should be avoided. 

This leaves us with multiple icons that increase the size of each card that cannot be removed, while serving no purpose except to make the tool ugly.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

James

Like Henrik Høyer likes this
0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
October 3, 2018

Hi Anders,

From the link you posted, the screenshot I think you are referring is not the card itself, but rather the new issue detail view that appear when you click on a card.   In which case there is not currently a way to customize the fields that appear on this view.  There is an existing feature request to be able to do this in https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-16401

In the meantime, you can turn off this new popup issue detail view and revert to the old issue detail view where you can still customize the fields that appear there.  If you do this, then you can go to the ellipsis on the board (...) -> Configure Board -> Issue Detail View.  On this page you can then choose which fields will appear on this issue detail view and in what order.

I hope this helps.

Andy

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question