Cannot add watcher

Jenny Galow December 30, 2020

Hi Everyone,

I checked the other tickets regarding the issue not being able to add watchers, but it  seems, that I cannot solve my problem with the there found anwsers.

The problem is I have the permission to "manage watchers" but when I want to add a watcher, the list of possible persons does not apear.

But when I for example create a new ticket and want to add a new user as assigned person this works, I can see all users an choose one.

Does anyone have an idea, where I need to change a setting?

Thank you very much !

Jenny

4 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Monika Rani
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 30, 2020

Hi @Jenny Galow ,

users to whom you want to add as a watcher, have the permission to browse the project? these users can access the project themself?

Jenny Galow January 4, 2021

Hi Monika, thank you, I will let that be checked!

Monika Rani
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 4, 2021

@Jenny Galow you should also check the global permissions for that may be this permission is disabled globally. As we have 3 permissions (Link Issue, Time Tracking and add watcher) which are globally prerequists.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 30, 2020

Hi Jenny,

does the user you want to add to watchers at least have "Browse Permissions" on the issue you want to put him on?

This is basically based on the following article:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/jira-user-cannot-add-watchers-to-an-issue-390496933.html

Regards,
Daniel

Hi Daniel, thank you, I will let that be checked!

0 votes
Jenny Galow January 11, 2021

Thank you for your help, it was the thing with the browse permission (Global permissions/Browse users and groups) :-)

Monika Rani
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 11, 2021

@Jenny Galow I am glad I could help you to figure out that was global permission issue. Thank you for accepting my answer.

Ryan Lynch April 19, 2021

Hi! I am having the same issue, but cannot find where to solve it in global permission. In fact- I am the site admin but cannot add watchers to any issue. I click the eye icon and am not prompted with a search bar to even add users. I have checked and everyone has "browse" permissions. 

Jenny Galow April 19, 2021

Hi Ryan,

did you already check, if the users have "browse permission" via --> Global permissions/Browse users and groups? That is what was working for me.

Ryan Lynch April 22, 2021

Yes, I have added this as a global permission. The issue seems local to this new "project", and I cannot add any watchers. I am not even given a prompt to type a new name in the watchers field for any issue within this project type. any ideas? 

Jenny Galow April 26, 2021

I can only suggest you to read all the messages here careful again and check, if all the different permissions are set.

It realy sounds much like my problem.

Good luck!

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 30, 2020

@Jenny Galow , to be clear if you start typing in the provide input frame nothing appears? To be clear, whereas the Assignee field will offer options as soon as you click into the field, Watchers does not, you must begin typing. If you attempt every letter in the alphabet and nothing appears then this would be quite odd given you have "manage watchers" permissions.

Hi Jack, thank you for your Questions. Yes, nothing apears eather way. Maybe the browse permission is not given, I will let that be checked.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events