Can't see subtasks in 'active sprint' board

Deleted user May 14, 2019

I'm super confused! I've create many JIRA boards and this is the first issue like this I've had.

On only one of our projects we can't see sub-tasks under our stories.  This is a standard project, not a next gen.  We have a super simple filter in place 

project = SEEK ORDER BY Rank ASC

nothing different from any of our other projects and board set ups 

Can anyone help out?

5 answers

4 votes
Kevin O_Brien October 9, 2019

Make sure the subtask is assigned to your team.

The active sprint view for my team's board is fundamentally set up by filtering by team name. If your subtask does not have the correct team assigned then it will not show up on your board! 

Michael Dieterle June 24, 2020

For me, it was the Component field that was not filled in. Thanks for the hint.

Like Kevin O_Brien likes this
0 votes
Raakhee Nagaonkar February 8, 2022

Screenshot_1.png

This is my main ticket, as shown has a subtask or a child issue to it, and belongs to a sprint.

Screenshot_2.png

This is the sub task ticket, and belongs to the same sprint.

Screenshot_3.png

Yet on my board I can only see the main tickets not the sub tasks. Any one knows why? I have never had this issue before.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 8, 2022

Hi @Raakhee Nagaonkar -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Your board image indicates this is a team-managed project.  To show the subtasks on that type of board you select the Group By > Subtask option at the right side of the board.

Kind regards,
Bill

Like # people like this
Raakhee Nagaonkar February 8, 2022

thank you thank you thank you.... @Bill Sheboy that worked. :) 

0 votes
KrishnaKant Agrawal August 20, 2021

For me, the weird thing is if the filter has the sprint = 445 component then all sub tasks are also shown on board.

But the filter with project = xyz and epic = abc does not reflect sub-tasks on board. Although the search for this query shows sub tasks.

Using the sprint component for now but every sprint needs change in this filter.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 20, 2021

Hi @KrishnaKant Agrawal -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Your first filter with the sprint specified is apparently drawing in the child items as that is how the scrum board works.

But, in your second filter where you explicitly state the epic, it cannot include sub-tasks: the stories are associated to the epic, not to their children (sub-tasks).

I am unclear why you would have a scrum board for a specific epic.  If you instead change your filter to only include the project and only work on that one epic during the sprint, it should work as expected: project = xyz ORDER BY Rank

Best regards,
Bill

0 votes
Libu B May 14, 2019

Is this a Kanban board. In Kanban boards ( and only in Kanban boards), there is an additional sub-query that is configured . Not sure if the sub-query if filtering out subtasks

Deleted user May 14, 2019

No this is an active sprint board scrum board

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 14, 2019

Hi @[deleted] 

What shows on the Scrum sprint board is also filtered by the active sprint...so I think the sub-tasks also need to be assigned to the sprint.

When you run your noted filter as just a search and look at the sprint field for the sub-tasks, is it populated with the active sprint name/id?

Best regards,

Bill

Deleted user May 15, 2019

So the sub-tasks are added via association with their parent user story.  On the sub-tasks I can see its assigned to required sprint (see screenshot) and if i click on 'view on board' it takes me to the correct board but the sub-tasks aren't visible 

Screenshot 2019-05-15 at 07.59.53.png

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 15, 2019

Hi @[deleted] 

So the filter seems okay according to your results. 

Are the subtasks in a status value which is not mapped to your scrum board?  If so, they would not display.

Best regards,

Bill

Deleted user May 15, 2019

Hey,

No they are all mapped correctly.

We've created a new project and migrated everything over and it seems to be working fine, god knows what was going on 

Thanks for the suggestions

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events