Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Can't put in subtask in active sprint

Can someone explain me how to put subtask in active sprint, when the main task is done and it's located in past sprint? Is this possible at all?

1 answer

1 vote

Welcome to the community!

Sub-tasks are not items that go into a sprint.  Of course, they do really, but only because they are part of their parent issue, which can be in a sprint.

The only way to get your sub-task into a sprint is to re-open the parent and bring that into the sprint.  Or move the sub-task so that it is part of a different issue that is going into the sprint.

I'd also take a look at your process, to prevent you landing in this logically nonsensical place.  You have broken data when you say "issue done, but sub-task not" - the sub-task is part of the parent, so how can the parent be done when part of it is not?

Hi, on this topic.

I have a task that has 4 sub tasks but we only want to include 2 of them in the first sprint ... is there a way of doing this or is it all or nothing?

That would be nonsense, as a sub-task is part of its parent.

Technically, sub-tasks don't even go into sprints, we just treat them as such because they are a part of their parent.

But, yes, you can split them - by moving them to different parent issues so they can be part of things that do go into different sprints.

Nonsense? Or just something that works for me and my team?

It's nonsense in Scrum.  You don't take bits of a story between sprints.

It might well work for your team, but that does mean you're not doing Scrum and will need to recognise that a Scrum tool such as Jira is for Scrum and so is unlikely to be that helpful for non-Scrum process.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

👋 Looking for 15-20 volunteers to test Atlassian training content

Hi everyone! Are you interested in beta testing Atlassian University’s newest (unreleased!) training course? We’re looking for 15-20 volunteers to test our newest training course, Basic reporting...

454 views 19 23
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you