Can't create classic project

Dan Tork January 29, 2021

When I create a new project, I can only choose from the following next-gen templates. The choice for a classic project is gone:

Screen Shot 2021-01-29 at 13.41.25 .png

The whole point of choosing CLASSIC JIRA is to avoid the automatic creation of new schemes, workflows, issue types, etc.

I know a LOT of people have had this issue, asked the community, and received solutions so I will go through them and explain why the issue is not already resolved.

I am on Atlassian Jira Project Management Software v8.14.0. It is self-hosted.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 29, 2021

Hi Dan - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Next-gen projects are not available for Jira Server. What you are looking at ARE the Classic project options. 

And Classic Software projects DO create the schemes, including issue types, workflow, etc. 

What exactly are you looking for or wanting to do?

Dan Tork January 29, 2021

I want to create a plain, template-less project so I can build each issue type, workflow, screen, and all accompanying schemes from the ground up. It's not project management, it's not software development, and I'd just rather not spend a lot of time breaking the links and removing auto-generated pieces.

I'm following the advice of a book, Practical Jira Administration (Doar) I think--don't have the book in front of me now, just my notes which say to "choose CLASSIC JIRA so it doesn't create 7 new schemes automatically".

Clearly, at the time of writing, the author was seeing those exact words. I am wondering why I don't see anything remotely similar, just specific predetermined templates.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 29, 2021

You can create a new project based on an existing project - which does not create the 7 new schemes automatically. But you have to create the initial project first, get it the way you want - meaning shifting all of the schemes around. 

Then from that point on, create new projects based on the "template" project. 

Susan McCasland April 9, 2021

John, where did that go?  Now when I try to create a new project, I get to choose Kanban / Scrum / Bug Tracking.  Then when I choose Scrum I get 2 options: Team-managed / Company-managed.

A month ago, I got to choose which previous project I could base it on.  

Susan McCasland April 9, 2021

Never mind, I figured it out.  Just a different workflow

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 9, 2021

Hey Susan - Classic Software projects are now called Company-managed and Next-gen projects are now called Team-managed. 

Stefanie Sullivan May 5, 2021

@John Funk How do I create a classic project in jira cloud? I have lost that functionality

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 6, 2021

Hey @Stefanie Sullivan  - It has been rebranded to Company-managed projects.

So, click on Create Project

Then click on Jira Software in the bottom left

Select Kanban or Scrum or Bug

Select Use Template

Then Select a Company-managed project

Like João Messias likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders