Can't configure Project Board

Michael Colgan February 22, 2021

Hi Folks,

First time posting.

We have been using Jira for a while now and I have just started to get my teeth into configuring it for new business requirements.

I have set up a new project as a Jira Admin for our PMO and we are trying to configure a new Kanban board (add a few extra columns). When we click on Board/Configure, Jira thinks for a bit and then takes you to a page with the top banner and the Atlassian footer but no options to change anything. Also none of the links from the header will respond when you click on them. We don't get an error message. (see attached screen shot)

I have tested the same on a few existing projects and they all have the same problem. For some reason we can't access the configure board page. Apparent according to other users this has been happening for some time but no one has done anything about it.

Has anyone come across this before? Do you know a fix or where I should be looking to see if there is some weird global configuration setting we have missed.

We are running Jira Server (on-Prem) version 8.5.6Jira configure board error 1.jpgJira configure board error.jpg

3 answers

0 votes
Amanda Culver March 28, 2022

I had the exact same symptoms.  My own solution was

an admin had imported a workflow from a test instance.
The imported workflow came in with statuses with IDs that were not mapped to statusIds on the LIVE instance.

The workflow itself was erroring, but as the user had edited it on the test instance and not on LIVE, they weren't seeing errors.

The reason why it impacted my *board* was that the filter of my board was searching 221 projects - one of which had this erroring status.  As the board tries to map all statuses from all projects found, this erroring status caused greenhopper (the board to error - silently).

I found this all by tailing the atlassian-jira.log and finding lines like :

2022-03-28 11:55:56,704+0100 https-jsse-nio-10.11.29.9-443-exec-502 WARN user_name 715x14215412x2 1df23w5 ip.address /secure/QueryComponent!Default.jspa [c.a.jira.workflow.AbstractJiraWorkflow] Workflow 'Name of erroring workflow that contains the bad status' contains step 'transition Name' (ID:7) which is linked to non-existing status (ID:12875)

you can also confirm this with a DB query

SELECT wfname   AS workflow_name,
       final.st AS invalid_status_id
FROM  (
      SELECT substring(Cast(matches AS VARCHAR)from '[0-9]+') AS st,
             wstatus.workflowname                             AS wfname
      FROM  (
            SELECT DISTINCT(regexp_matches(descriptor,'jira.status.id\">[0-9]+<','g'))AS matches,
                                                     workflowname
            FROM            jiraworkflows) AS wstatus ) AS final
WHERE  final.st NOT IN (
              SELECT id
              FROM   issuestatus);

Example output :

workflow_name                                                                     | invalid_status_id

-------------------------------------------------------+-------------------

Name of erroring workflow that contains the bad status | 12875

Name of erroring workflow that contains the bad status | 12875

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 27, 2021

Hi @Michael Colgan

it might be needed to have a look into Jira logs if there is something more meaningful logged.
This would need support by the person who has access to the server's filesystem.

The relevant file is atlassian-jira.log and I also suggest to not neglect having a short look into atlassian-greenhopper.log (as this one is logging around Software Boards but I cannot say for sure if a potential error would be in the first or the second log, so please - have a look into both).

Here is some documentation where you exactly can find the logs in your system:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/useful-log-files-in-jira-1027120387.html

A wild guess would be to check for Apps which could collidate, anything that is not up to date or that was installed lately.
I will also refer to the documentation where you can disable Apps for a cross check:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/upm/disabling-and-enabling-apps-273875716.html#Disablingandenablingapps-Disablingorenablingallapps(usingSafeMode

Please note that this should be done out of office hours as it will interrupt your people's work until you put the Apps to "on" state again ;)

Regards,
Daniel

0 votes
Vero Rivas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 22, 2021

Hi @Michael Colgan 

It may seem silly, but you are sure that you have the permissions to modify the board, otherwise you will not be able to do it

Are you the administrator? If you are not, talk to him to make sure you have the correct permissions.

Cheers

Michael Colgan February 23, 2021

Hi Vero,

Yep, we have tried with multiple accounts, including the Jira god account. All accounts come back with the empty screen.

For some reason it seems like the dashboard config page doesn't exist.

Mike

This could be the answer, looking into it. 

JSWServer - 13881 

I went through all our active and inactive workflows and could not find any with steps that do not have a linked status.

Back to the drawing board.

Suggest an answer