Can custom field options be updated from SQL?

Montana Fox February 2, 2021

I have a custom field (checkboxes) which has several options. Let's say they are department names:

• Facilities
  • Operations
  • Human Resources
  • Transportation

I also have a table in my SQL that has these same values in one column, plus other values in other columns. Then, I use a post-function that retrieves other information from that table based on the options selected, and sets other field values accordingly.

• Facilities / Assignee: John F / Manager: Linda R
  • Operations / Assignee: Pamela M / Manager: Craig D
  • Human Resources / Assignee: Roger C / Manager: Cindy H
  • Transportation / Assignee: Howard W / Manager: Paul J

I have been able to make this work, but as you are probably aware, organizations change and departments get renamed, split up, merged, etc. When this happens, I have to manually update the department names in both the custom field configuration AND the SQL look-up table so that they still have matching values.

What I would like to do is make it use a SQL [UPDATE] script to change the department names in both the lookup table AND the custom field configuration at the same time. This seems like something I should be able to do without a whole lot of trouble, because they're already existing in both places. But...

What if a new department - IT Services - needs to be included? I can definitely use a SQL [INSERT] script to add the new row to the lookup table, but can I use an [INSERT] to add that department name as a new option in the field configuration?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 2, 2021

Argh, no.

To do this, you will need to get a better understanding of the database (your insert statement will corrupt Jira unless it's done alongside some other stuff).  Once you know that well enough to construct non-breaking SQL, you willl need to shut down Jira, take a full backup, restore it to a test system to make sure it is a good backup, run the SQL, restart Jira, re-index it in full (not background), then test it in full to make sure you have not broken it, and then let the users back in.

I can't recommend you do that, it's too fragile, slow and risky.

I'd strongly recommend that you either get in one of the configuration manager apps and go via that, or have a look at one of the database fields provided by apps such as Elements-connect and Scriptrunner

Montana Fox February 2, 2021

That is exactly the concern I had. Thanks for verifying.

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 2, 2021

I forgot, there is another option, in that if you get one of the scripting apps (or do a bit of work coding an app), you can write something that can update, add or remove options from a field after reading changes from almost anywhwere.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events