Can Jira Automation replace/edit part of the summary field

Radek Dering January 8, 2021

I need to change the country code in the summary filed from ABC to BCD for 30 tickets. I was trying to use Jira automation - maybe there is another option, can someone help?

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 8, 2021

Hi @Radek Dering 

Yes, you could do that using JQL to select the issues for changing and then using the replace() function to alter the text.  For example:

• Trigger: manual trigger
  • Branch: JQL to find your issues
    • Action: edit the summary field to replace your text: {{issue.summary.replace("ABC", "BCD")}}

Please look at this documentation for more information:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/smart-values-text-fields/

Best regards,

Bill

Radek Dering January 11, 2021

thanks Bill, works like a charm

Like # people like this
Samuel Prathipaty May 4, 2021

Hi @[deleted] ,

What if the text in the summary is different from a issue to another issue? For one issue it might be ABC for the other DEF?

Please check my question - https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Update-story-points-to-the-issue-summary-using-automation/qaq-p/1683810

Thanks

Like # people like this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 5, 2021

Hi @Samuel Prathipaty 

I answered your question in the thread you noted, using: substringBefore()

Best regards,

Bill

Like Samuel Prathipaty likes this
Samuel Prathipaty May 5, 2021

Thanks Bill.

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Rich Imbrogno March 25, 2022

Does this work for server version as well. 

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 25, 2022

Hi @Rich Imbrogno 

First thing, I am using the Cloud version, and...

According to the documentation for the Server/Data Center version of automation the function substringBefore() is supported: https://confluence.atlassian.com/automation/text-functions-993924863.html

Kind regards,
Bill

Like Rich Imbrogno likes this
padmalatha79@gmail.com March 1, 2024

@Bill Sheboy :  I am on Jira Data Center and trying to rename the summary field and append it with issue creator/assignee's name in the suffix.  Is there an easy way to do that in Jira Automation.  I have replaced the title, but appending the assignee name is challenging.  Please help.

Thanks!

Padma 

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 1, 2024

Hi padmalatha79@gmail.com 

I believe that is possible, however: what problem are you trying to solve by doing this?  That is, "why" do this?

The creator (i.e., reporter) and assignee already have fields in the issue, and so copying the same values into the Summary will lead to a maintenance challenge, requiring updates of the Summary when either of those fields change.  Or when someone manually alters the Summary, tampering with the copied fields.

I recommend creating a new question, and perhaps linking back to this thread for context.  That will ensure more people see the question to offer suggestions; otherwise only those following this older thread will see it.

With your new question, please post an image of your complete automation rule, images of any relevant actions / conditions / branches, an image of the audit log details showing the rule execution, and explain what is not working as expected.  Thanks!

Kind regards,
Bill

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events