Can I map an “open text” data field from a CSV file to a “drop-down” data field in Jira?

M_ Morgan October 26, 2021

Follow-up Question (to the question asked on 10/19/2021):

Can I map an “open text” data field from a CSV file to a “drop-down” data field in Jira?

What would be the result?

Original Question from 10/21/2021:

Once I prepare my data as a CSV file to export to Jira, I am able to see the “Map Fields” view in Jira.

(Note:  I have more CSV data fields than receiving Jira data fields.)

Is it possible for me to map more than 1 CSV data field to a single Jira field just by selecting a Jira field more than once in the “Map Fields” view?

I know that I can potentially do so if I concatenate the data in advance or by “coding” the CSV data in advance, but is it possible to do by just selecting a receiving Jira field more than once?

Will this method retain all of my incoming data?  Will selecting more than one CSV field to map to a single field in Jira cause one of the CSV data fields to override or erase the other?

Will the method that I am proposing work?

I appreciate your feedback.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 26, 2021

No, because text fields in Jira contain a single value.

On the follow-up, yes, but you'll need to map all the text in the CSV to a single option in the select field.

M_ Morgan October 26, 2021

Thank you, Nic.

To clarify, it sounds like I can map my open text CSV data to a Jira field even if that Jira field has pre-determined, drop-down responses.

What happens to the open text data when it is mapped to the drop-down Jira data field?

Does it look for a similar drop-down option within the open text?  Does it come over to Jira as open text?

Will I receive an error message before the import is complete?

I appreciate your help.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 26, 2021

Sorry, no, that's completely the opposite of what I said (or tried to say, my prose is sometimes very weak)

When you map a CSV field into a selection type field in Jira, you have to tell Jira what option for the list to map it to (admins can use the option to create new options and set them)

Suggest an answer