CSV import parent/child relation

Denis Corlier
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 29, 2024

I've created an Epic and now based on a CSV file i want to create a huge set of stories that are all having 2 sub tasks. How do i make my csv so that the sub tasks are linked to the stories 

So fat i'm able to create the stories inside the epic using the epic link field but i'm not able to add the Sub-Tasks inside the stories.

Here s a sample of my csv file:
Type;IssueID;Summary;ParentID;Timeoriginalestimate;EpicLink;Component
Story;1;Test Story;;;xxxV2-33604;xxx
Sub-Task;;Sub-Task 1;1;10800;;
Sub-Task;;sub-Task 2;1;10800;;

In the CSV for the Story i've set the value 1 that i map to 'Issue Id' and for the Sub-Tasks i'm setting the value of ParentID that i map to 'Parent Id' to the ParentID of the Story.

When i try to validate the import the creation of the story is validated but i'm receiving the following error messages:

• Subtask 'Sub-Task 1' doesn't have a valid Parent Id selection. Issue will not be created.
  • Subtask 'Sub-Task 2' doesn't have a valid Parent Id selection. Issue will not be created.

So my question is how do i define the parent/child relationship between my Stories and Sub-Tasks inside the CSV file ?

Should i do it in 2 steps ? First create all the Stories and the get all the stories ids and create the sub tasks ? 

Thanks for the help

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 29, 2024

Hi @Denis Corlier 

All rows need an Issue ID, so ensure Sub-tasks have them also. And all IDs should be unique.

---

The setup should then be like this (which it might already be):

Issue Type   Issue ID  Parent ID  Summary
 Task  1    Task 1
 Sub-task  2  Sub-task 1
 Sub-task  3 1 Sub-task 2

Ste

Denis Corlier
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 29, 2024

i've just tested and it works ! Thanks a lot !

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer