Bulk move items from backlog to a future sprint

Razan Abdel Qader July 19, 2020

I'm on next-gen jorad project. 

i have 1200 items in the backlog. 1000 of these items belongs to past sprints. I need to bulk move the 1000 items into a future sprint and complete that sprint so the backlog is cleaned. 

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 19, 2020

Try using bulk edit...

1. click in the search bar
  2. at the bottom click on advanced search
  3. in advanced mode create a JQL that resolves to the issues you wish to move
  4. click on ellipses and select bulk edit
  5. click on edit And follow the steps to the edit screen
  6. edit the Sprint field and enter the sprint
  7. complete the bulk edit

once done you can start and complete the sprint.

Alternatively you could simply transition all to Done.

Razan Abdel Qader July 20, 2020

Hi, I did the following but I'm unable to edit the sprint value 
PFA

Capture_jj.PNG

Kevin Payne March 22, 2022

Hi, does anyone have a proper answer to this ? its not possible to assign a sprint in bulk edit  because you need to add the sprint code not the sprint description. Not sure how to get the code for the sprint.

Like Tripti Saraswat likes this
jan_legutko April 6, 2022

Hey. Go to advanced issue search and try to search for tickets of that given sprint. Put `Sprint = "` into the JQL field and start typing your sprint's name. Choose it when you find it and it will be automatically converted into a code :)

Darren Murphy October 14, 2022

Hi, entering the sprint name into the JQL returns the sprint code but when bulk editing issues and changing the sprint value to this code, Jira throws an exception stating that "the Sprint JD must be a number". How do I find the JD number?

Thanks

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 14, 2022

@Darren Murphy and all,

yes. You can find the sprint ID as follows:

1. Find at least one issue that currently has the desired sprint already associated to the issue. If you do not have one then assign an issue to the desired sprint.
  2. in list view for the issue click on the Sprint name in the sprint field.
  3. in the resulting screen click into the URL. At the end of the URL you will find a number representing the sprint ID

EAC1F1B8-F1BC-4F92-8A6F-D93F3A1ACAD8.jpeg

Like # people like this
Darren Murphy October 14, 2022

Thanks Jack - really apprciate the pointer. It was because the sprint field was missing from the screen scheme so I added this in and was able to see the full URL. Thank you!

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events