Bug while creating issue

John Varghese July 22, 2017

I am unable to add an issue in jira.

The following error message occured

Exception occurred: com.atlassian.plugins.rest.common.json.JsonMarshallingException: org.codehaus.jackson.map.JsonMappingException: Caught SQLException for select ACTION.id, ACTION.issueid, ACTION.author, ACTION.actiontype, ACTION.actionlevel, ACTION.rolelevel, ACTION.actionbody, ACTION.created, ACTION.updateauthor, ACTION.updated, ACTION.actionnum from dbo.jiraaction ACTION where ACTION.issueid = ? and ACTION.actiontype = ? order by ACTION.created asc, ACTION.id asc offset ? rows fetch next ? rows only (through reference chain: com.atlassian.jira.quickedit.rest.api.field.QuickEditFields["createdIssueDetails"]->com.atlassian.jira.rest.v2.issue.IssueBean["fields"]->java.util.HashMap["comment"])
URL:www.selectindia.com

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 22, 2017

My best guess is that you're on JIRA 7.2 or above and you have set it up with a MS-SQL Server 2008 database back-end.  Is that right?

Gary Smith July 29, 2017

Yes, I am (SQL2008R2 actually).  Is this a known compatibility issue? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 29, 2017

Yes, the database driver in JIRA 7 is not compatible with MS-SQL2008.  You can't use an older one which is compatible with 2008 because they don't work with the version of Java JIRA 7 requires.

You'll need to move on to a supported database.

Gary Smith July 29, 2017

I wish the installer had prevented me from wasting my time by checking the version number of sql server. 

If moving on to a JIRA supported database was only so easy (and cheap). 

I can't see any mention that jTDS isn't compatible with a particular version of java.  I think it's JIRA that isn't compatibile.  Which is a shame because I'm pretty sure the install base of 2008/r2 is probably greater that that of 2012/2014 combined.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 29, 2017

The installer is built to let you do what you want really, as people do have needs to run things on unsupported kit.

It's definitely not JIRA that is incompatible - the error you're seeing is generated in the driver, and I'm aware of a couple of non-Atlassian applications that throw the same error when using that driver on Java (with different tables of course)

Gary Smith July 31, 2017

Sorry, I should have said warn me. 

Do you think atlassian opened a bug report in jTDS to get the code fixed?  If the latest Java broke jTDS (on SQL 2008/R2) I would think that getting it fixed would be a very high prority.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 31, 2017

I don't think it's a bug to be honest, it's more a structural thing in that they've moved on and actively dropped support.

Suggest an answer