Basic Roadmap - Issues not showing on timeline

Phil McTimoney June 17, 2021

Hi

I am attempting to create my first basic roadmap.

I created a bunch of tasks and assigned them to sprints. (Example from picture: task LT-1 is in sprint "LT Sprint 2021-W25" which is June 21-27)

I created an epic and assigned all the tasks to the epic. (Example: epic LT-24 has task LT-1)

When I look at the roadmap, I see the epic and the tasks, but nothing is displaying on the roadmap. I expect to see a colored bar under the sprint to which it is assigned.

What step did I miss?

Thanks!

UPDATE: I manually edited the start and end dates for the epic and a purple bar was displayed on the roadmap. But still no bar for the other issue types and I don't see a convenient way to edit their start/end dates (nor do I want to - I believe they should be automatically derived from the sprint they are assigned to.)

Screenshot 2021-06-17 173335.png

6 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Phil McTimoney June 18, 2021

After more research...I guess my expectations for the basic roadmap were too high. 

Maybe something will be done to add this functionality. Here is the tracking issue: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-18668

Here is a related question/answer that give me the answer: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Team-managed-projects-questions/Viewing-Issues-and-Task-timelines-on-the-Roadmap/qaq-p/1355008

Walter Moll August 15, 2021

Hi @Phil McTimoney ,

This is really very frustrating... I am having the same issue now.

Did you find any workaround?

Thank you.

Phil McTimoney August 17, 2021

Not really. It is supported in their upgraded product I believe.

Michael Habib October 4, 2021

Thanks for the info, I wish they'd just come out & say "we want you to pay for it" rather than wasting everyone's time trying to debug this issue !
Are you aware if there are any similar issues with Advanced Roadmaps ? Without this roadmap feature, Jira would be no more useful to me than Trello !

Like Adam Lucia likes this
James Crook February 4, 2022

I am having the same issue in 2022.. Hello from the future its still frustrating :) 

Like Nick Trageser likes this
Adeel Hussain February 11, 2022

Same issue for me - very frustrating and really reduces the usefulness of the Roadmap feature.

Kim Brolet March 29, 2022

Same here!

LUIS RAUL SANCHEZ VAZQUEZ June 1, 2022

</3 same here

Jeff Brazier July 6, 2022

I had this problem too..

What you need to do is for the given task go to the Ghantt side for a given task and select the dates.  It will appear and you can adjust it.  It is driven by startdate and duedate.  You will then see the tasks.

8 votes
James Foley July 28, 2022

I noticed that there was an option on the Roadmap's Board Settings called "Child level issue scheduling" which was off (perhaps by default). Once I turned this on, the timeline appeared for the task as well as the epic.

28-07-2022 9-00-24 PM.jpg

Dennis December 30, 2022

Thanks for this! Solved it for me.

Like David Ireland likes this
kjrandez January 27, 2023

This does it !

How idiotic to have this off by default !?

Like Ashley Baxter likes this
Ashley Baxter June 25, 2023

YES! how is this not the start point! lesson to always scroll to the end on the help topic! thanks so much! 

Becky Parsons August 15, 2023

Thanks you are a life saver!!!!

Ray TA August 25, 2023

Why is this still not fixed? Just turn this on by default in your next update Atlassian.

1 vote
Nazrin Veerankutty March 16, 2022

Instead of Roadmap, we can create a plan for the board under the plans menu and use the roadmap views

0 votes
Pratibha Sunil Datir February 6, 2024

Update start date and end date of epic,

0 votes
alternetic April 28, 2023

Hello,

Small update on this issue, instead of "Child level issue scheduling" there are more options now, the first one was checked, I had to check the second one to get the expected behaviour. I'm using cloud version

2023-04-28_091408.png

0 votes
m_fahmi_rizal June 21, 2022

In my case, only one project can do this. But not for the others project.

2022-06-22_10-26.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events