Automation - Schedule Daily Task Creation

Davi Torres May 2, 2022

I need to create an Automation Rule that every day will create a NEW Task. Then, move it to the Board with the IN PROGRESS status.

So the trigger would be the Basic scheduler or the Advanced (that used CRON expression).

The problem I am finding is that it enforces to enter a JQL. As if I was searching for issues to apply the Rule on.

But I don't want to search anything, I just want to create a new issue from nowhere.

I tried to add a generic JQL that for only once was finding a single issue but now only returns 0 issues found.

And I also tried to check and un-check the box for "Only include issues that have changed since the last time this rule executed" with no success.

What am I doing wrong?

Untitled.png

3 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Davi Torres May 3, 2022

SOLVED!

In summary, the transition method I was using was wrong and was requiring the JQL to be filled.

Steps

- Create a Branch rule / related issues for Most recently created issue.

- Then inside, add a Transition issue and the status that I wanted.

- Now I could go there and uncheck the JQL and publish the rule.

See illustration:

Screenshot 2022-05-03 141300.png

Screenshot 2022-05-03 141326.png

Darryl St_ Pierre
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 10, 2022

Thank you for posting this! I have found other solutions referencing using the Branch rule, but no graphic. This is exactly what I needed.

Pablo Barbosa May 26, 2023

Muito bom, estava com o mesmo problema e isso resolveu. Obrigado! :) 

0 votes
Karyna Tyrnavska _SaaSJet
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 12, 2022

Hi, @Davi Torres !

If you`re ok with Atlassian plug-ins, I suggest you to try out Business Process Manager add-on. We at the SaaSJet team use it to manage business procedures.

You can create a new Step (Jira issue) and fill it as you wish. 

image.png

And then use a submission function to transit issues from Done to In Progress status

0 votes
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 2, 2022

Hi @Davi Torres 

You have checked the box "Run a JQL search and execute actions for each issue in the query".

Please unchek it and you should be able to schedule the task creation without need of a JQL query.

Davi Torres May 2, 2022

With the box checked:

Screenshot 2022-05-02 153212.png

With the box unchecked:

Screenshot 2022-05-02 153248.png

If I uncheck and remove the JQL it does not allow me to save:

Screenshot 2022-05-02 153546.png

Davi Torres May 3, 2022

Much appreciated for your prompt help!

Suggest an answer