Automation - Clone Issue into another Project

Philipp Hildebrandt March 29, 2020

Hi,

I tried my first setps with JIRA automation and unfortunalty it doesn't work.

First - I am the admin of the hole JIRA-instance and also of the 2 projects.

My goal is to copy a created issue in project A (A2TP) depending on a sepcific label to another project B (PNP).

I got some errors in my audit log, but the error info doesn't help me to solve the problem.

So I tried it with a easyer rule first to see, if it's a global problem. The easyer rule is:

If you created an issue in project A clone this issues to project B (without trigger the label)

But also in that really easy case I got the same errors.

Can someone help me? Maybe it's a problem with permissions between to projects?

image.png

image.png

image.png

regards,

Philipp

7 answers

6 votes
Julien Peyrade _ Elements
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 21, 2023

Hello,

Cloning issues from one Next-Gen project to another may have lead to problem when doing this with Automation, due to the issue types.

What I would advice is keep using Automation to trigger the cloning, if needed (indeed, Automation has a ton of useful triggers for various needs), but leave the cloning itself to a dedicated add-on, which will solve the problem completely.

Our app, Elements Copy & Sync can help you do exactly this.

It integrates with Automation, and lets you clone your issues from any project to any other project. You can even keep your issues synchronized if needed, it's completely optional.

The app is free for 30 days, (and stays free if your instance is under 10 users), so feel free to give it a try, and don't hesitate to tell reach our Support if you have any question.

Kind regards,

Julien

1 vote
James Macintyre May 24, 2021

Hi All did anyone manage to get this working - Im having the same issue with two nextgen projects where I want the transition to done on one to clone the issue on the other project ready for my test team.

1 vote
Peter May 20, 2021

Hi Philipp,

I am currently struggling with the same problem. Did you manage to get the whole thing running?

Regards 

Peter

0 votes
Patrick Alexander January 4, 2024

Hi @Philipp Hildebrandt

i got the same error as you descibed. The problem are sub-tasks, that can't be mapped to the parrents automaticaly. There is a description how to solve this in this article by Atlassian:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/automation-how-to-clone-tasks-stories-along-with-their-sub-tasks-1235853548.html

Hope this helps!

0 votes
Syed Majid Hassan -Exalate-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 26, 2023

Hi,

This is Majid @ Exalate. 

The use case you have described should be very possible to do with an issue sync app like Exalate. You can customize the fields you want to copy over and just hit a button to trigger the Bulk Copy. 

Please let me know if you have any questions. 

Thanks

Majid

0 votes
Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 25, 2021

I am not a Jira Automation expert, but have some experiences with cloning issues between projects. There are two possible causes which come to my mind:

• Make sure that the issue type you want to clone is also available in the target project.
  • Check if the target project has some required fields, that are not available in the source issue.

If that doesn't solve your issue and you're open to work with a Marketplace app, you could try our Jira cloud app Deep Clone for Jira.

With our app you can:

If you have questions or feedback about Deep Clone, don't hesitate to contact us.

0 votes
JimmyVanAU
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 29, 2020

Hi Philipp,

As it's a cross project rule (involves >1 project), you will need to change the scope of the rule (first screenshot) to A2TP and PNP. Click on the link for "global administration", update the scope and then test the rule.

Let us know how you go

Hi,

i changed the rule details <scope> to "Multiple projects" and had another test unfortunately without sucess. :-(

image.png

Like JimmyVanAU likes this

both projects are Next-Gen-Projects - could this be the reason?

JimmyVanAU
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 29, 2020

Hi Philipp,

It's been a little while since I've played with automation. I've just run a few tests, and yes, it looks to be due to next gen projects.

The next gen projects appear to have the same schemes and type, though they're independent of each other behind the scenes. This allows each project admin to do what they need to do.

For you, if you've got a limited number of issue types, I'd suggest a rule with multiple if statements which clones to the specific issue type in the target project. That is, don't use "Same issue type" or "Same issue type as trigger" (both fail) under Clone action, but run an IF rule, check if issue type is task, then clone a "Task" in the other project, with more branches for Epic and Story. A little painful, but it works.

To help you with original issue, I'd suggest you raise a ticket with support https://support.atlassian.com and reference this conversation :) Let us know how you go

Like Yana Povar likes this

thank you Jimmy, I will try it.

Atlassian support request is already open since yesterday with link to this conversation here. :)

Like JimmyVanAU likes this
Sushir Kadidal February 6, 2022

Hi Philipp, 

Was this ever solved with Atlassian? 

Like Alicia Parnell-Strain likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders