Automatically set start date when ticket moved from To Do ---> In Progress column

GZ September 13, 2020

Can you please tell how can I automatically set start date when ticket moved from To Do ---> In Progress column in classic Jira kanaban board.

Like we have in  in Next Gen

Manage rules -> Add rules -> Update an issue field ->For issues moving to (In progress) -> Update this field (start date)   

5 answers

2 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Jira Guru
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 13, 2020

Hi @GZ 

Automation -> Add Rules -> Trigger -> Issue Transitioned

When: Issue transitioned

FROM

To Do

TO

In Progress

Then: Edit issue fields

Start date

{{now.plusDays(0)}}

GZ September 13, 2020

Thank

I followed your mentioned steps, but when I move the issue start date does not appear on ticket.

Any idea?image.pngimage.png

Florian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 13, 2020

Take a look in the audit log of you automation rule. Perhaps there are some errors. 

Like Olga Nemo likes this
Jack Quigley January 22, 2021

How do you add the condition to check that the Start Date is EMPTY before updating it?  Start Date does not appear in the list of fields to check. Thanks in advance.

Like Jeanette Bartlett likes this
Jeanette Bartlett February 25, 2021

Does anyone have a reply to this question as I am trying to do the same thing.  Only set the start date if it has not already been set.

Like Valériane GRANGE likes this
Vitor Seabra December 9, 2021

For some reason it is not accepting the way that the smart value is disposed...Captura de Tela 2021-12-09 às 12.35.33.png

Menuka Shrestha August 31, 2023

Hi 
I have practiced this one and it works, thank you for posting it, really appreciate it!!!
Also, can we validate it, cause the user can choose any date with this line of code {{now.plusDays(0)}}.

Just wanted to check if it only pulls the current date, so we know the actual start date.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 18, 2020

Hey @GZ

To make the automation rule to work as intended, the automation user executing the rule (Automation app user) should be allowed to edit the issue. That being said, check the following steps:

1. Check if the field "Start date" is properly added to the issue screens under project settings > Screens, selecting the edit screen related to your issue type
  2. Check if the field is not hidden in the issue screen, under project settings > Issue Layout
  3. Check if the field is not configured as hidden in the field configuration scheme, under  Project settings > Fields > Check at the right of the field (Optional or Hide)
  4. Check if the project role "atlassian-addons-project-access" is added with the Edit issue permission under project settings > permissions. If you are using any Issue Security levels, ensure the role is also added to it
  5. Check if the user "Automation app user" is added to the "atlassian-addons-project-access" role:
    Managing Project roles 

Let us know if you have any questions.

GZ September 21, 2020

Now it works, thank you all.

Like Petter Gonçalves likes this
Sharmila Radjasegarane June 9, 2023

I have checked all of the above recommendations, yet my automation does not work.
I have similar automation as to say, when i create an issue in the same project the "Start date" should be set, and this works perfect. 
However, the "end date" when the issue transition from one status to another does not set the date. Any ideas? Thanks! 

My error : 

Edit issue
Unknown fields set during edit, they may be unavailable for the project/type. Check your custom field configuration. Fields ignored -
Actual end (customfield_xxxx)
No fields or field values to edit for issues (could be due to some field values not existing in a given project):
CI-xxx
1 vote
Jack Quigley February 25, 2021

I worked it out using automation

1. When Issue transitions to In Progress
  2. If Issue matches JQL "Start date[Date]" is EMPTY
  3. Then: Edit issue fields     Start Date to be {{now.plusDays(0)}}
Alicia Morgan March 8, 2023

Hey Jack would you be able to add a screenshot of your rule configuration?  Im a newbie. 

1 vote
Kasula Prithvi September 13, 2020

Hi @GZ

Check if you have option in post functions of this transition in the workflow.

Later after the changes, you can set the same in kanban board settings.

GZ September 13, 2020

0 votes
James Chan October 29, 2023

Automation -> Add Rules -> Trigger -> Issue Transitioned

When: Issue transitioned

FROM

To Do (In my case I leave it blank to capture anything that goes to "In Progress")

TO

In Progress

Then: Edit issue fields

Start date

{{now}}

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin