Automated Password Changes

AlexH February 22, 2021

Dear lovley Jira Community,

i have a Question, is it possible to change Password for: LDAP Connection, IMAP, SMTP without login into Jira and change it manually? 

Direct in SQL DB and NTML Hash or something like that.

Hope to get any feedback. 

Best Regards

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 22, 2021

In theory, yes you could hash up the password and jam it into the database, but, don't.

If you are going to mess with a Jira database, you will need to know *exactly* what you are doing (using the right hash algorithm), and the process for any SQL change is stop Jira, take a backup, restore the backup to a temporary place to prove it has worked, run the SQL, restart Jira and run a full locking re-index.  If you don't do that, you run the risk of losing everything.

So, again, don't/

AlexH February 22, 2021

Yes i know, thats why i Ask ;) 

i must Change frequently all the passwords in many instances... so i need to find a way to automate it... or i must make everytime a Service Down...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 22, 2021

You are going to need to "make a service down" every time you do this with SQL, probably several hours long.

Why are you changing service account passwords frequently?

AlexH February 24, 2021

Hi Nic, it is a Global reqierment.

and i must change all the Serivce Accounts but for MSSQL OAG i have a automation. Only the Passwords in Jira like SMTP IMAP and LDAP i didnt find a solution.

Suggest an answer