You're on your way to the next level! Join the Kudos program to earn points and save your progress.
Level 1: Seed
25 / 150 points
1 badge earned
Challenges come and go, but your rewards stay with you. Do more to earn more!
What goes around comes around! Share the love by gifting kudos to your peers.
Keep earning points to reach the top of the leaderboard. It resets every quarter so you always have a chance!
Join now to unlock these features and more
I want to search by assignee. So i enter for JQL assignee = then suggestion is shown listing all users. When I choose a user the JQL as converted to assignee = 5d6fa8e16e3e1f0d9623e479
Why does it show user id instead of user name?
This is really disappointing. If create a query on day one and then come back to it later to change it, I can't tell who is included in the query and who isn't, because as a human being, this makes no sense to me at all: assignee in (553058:07f5aeff-a766-4305-8216-08138ad46f1d; 557058:07f9aeff-a766-4305-8218-08138ed46f1d).
Would you recommend Jira to a friend... Before this, you get a 10. now. you get a 6.
What an absolutely appalling 'feature'. Its extremely difficult to use now and it doesn't make any difference to GDPR as the user names are still stored and shown in the assignee drop down. What planet are the on? Don't Atlassian employ product owners and UX experts? Truly shocking.
I have a workaround for this problem. Turns out it only converts the name to the ID if you click on it in the dropdown match suggestions as you type. You can use the dropdown match suggestion to get the correct spelling without clicking on it and thus without replacing it. The query still works and all names are maintained.
I tried it and works, but, the name must be in quotes and users can do things to their names like not include a second name, and we have very diverse workplaces where some people have very long, hard to spell names, etc., so it's not a very fun workaround to use.
also, in the link above, if you scroll down to the bottom it says, "However, you can no longer identify the users in the JQL string. Entering a query like this can also be difficult.
To address this, the following controls can help when entering and reading JQL queries."
and the instructions that follow are not clear. There's no "insert" when you are trying to create a jql in the advance search view.
Is there really no solution to this? Putting the ID in JQL is totally useless.
Who is in this query? I have no idea.
assignee in (557058:64dc2e2c-f281-4e51-bc05-3f4dd4e09418,557058:12bd0eca-68e4-4880-a21b-74a283b42a37,557058:36af81fd-0275-44ca-a383-720a7aa53fc8,557058:3648dbea-5061-4830-897c-c63080bee420,5bd00167ca472f15b61ec9eb)
Has this been reported as a bug?
Do you have any insight on why they thought this experience is an improvement to the user? It really looks like a hack to accommodate developers.
Additionally the link above (https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/convert-usernames-to-user-account-i-ds/) shows that there should be a way to "resolve users", but I am not seeing in on the Cloud version.
Dear @Eugene Ga ,
this is how it is designed. What is shown while typing is the "DisplayName". The same behavior is for server version but there the username and not the id is shown.
I believe it has historic reasons. id (cloud) and username (server) are stored in DB with all user actions and not the DisplayName.
i got around the id issue by making queries for all individual users in a project, and using their name for the query name. then added those filters to the jira board. for the actual board query, i started using jira groups in the filter instead of lists of individuals. it is simpler to have the admin remove/add a name to a group rather than figure out which id in a query belongs to a specific user and try to delete that from the query. for me, this query:
project in (PROJ-APP, PROJ-UI, PROJ-API) AND status not in (Closed, Canceled) AND (assignee in (membersOf(eng-teamname)) OR "Code Reviewer[People]" in (membersOf(eng-teamname)) OR "Tester[User Picker (single user)]" in (membersOf(eng-teamname)))
is way easier to read/edit/understand compared to this query:
project in (PROJ-APP, PROJ-UI, PROJ-API) AND status not in (Closed, Canceled) AND (assignee in (123765:82222d7c0-3333-4aea-55b-00a2345123, 555jjj555jjj555jjj555jjj555, 555jjj5444lll444lll555jjj555jjj,) OR "Code Reviewer" in (123765:82222d7c0-3333-4aea-55b-00a2345123, 555jjj555jjj555jjj555jjj555, 555jjj5444lll444lll555jjj555jjj,) OR tester in (123765:82222d7c0-3333-4aea-55b-00a2345123, 555jjj555jjj555jjj555jjj555, 555jjj5444lll444lll555jjj555jjj,)