As a project Administrator, why can't I modify the project's workflow?

aleksey.shishkin January 16, 2020

We use Jira Cloud for our development project and I'm the project manager and Jira Administrator of this project. But I'm not a Jira admin.

Sometimes I need to make a change to our workflow, but I don't have any means to do it - no change, modify, add/remove buttons, etc.

Is it really true that I can't change the workflow my own project?

4 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Ganesh Babu
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 16, 2020

Hi @aleksey.shishkin 

As your the project administrator, there are some conditions when a project admins can edit the  workflow. the conditions are:

1. The workflow should not be shared, in the sense workflow should be unique to the project. If it is shared with other projects then Project admins can't edit the workflow. It's only Jira Admins who can do the changes. 

And in Jira Cloud there is no option has "extended project permissions" which is actually present in the Jira Server. With this permission enabled on the project under Jira Server the Project admins could edit a simplified and workflow which is not shared.

So in Jira Cloud its only the Jira Admins who does the changes to the workflows.

Regards,

Ganesh Babu J

Thank you, Ganesh Babu! Yes, the workflow is shared. But maybe I can somehow refuse to use this workflow and create a new one that isn't shared with any other team?

Like LynnG likes this
Ganesh Babu
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 16, 2020

Hi @aleksey.shishkin 

Its Jira Admin who can create a new workflow and associate that workflow to your project. 

Ganesh Babu
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 16, 2020

And @aleksey.shishkin  project administrators cannot edit the workflow even it is unique or it is simplified workflow.

That's what i mentioned earlier which is the major difference between Jira Server and Jira cloud permissions "Extend Project Permissions". This permission is not available for Jira Cloud.

Paul Cudina December 14, 2022

Agree with Ganesh, we have a project admin who cannot edit their workflow (even though it is not shared with another project). Unfortunately for now, we must wait for this fix and update workflows on behalf of our project admins. 

1 vote
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 17, 2020

Hi @aleksey.shishkin  - If you are the administrator for the project and the project uses the simplified workflow that was created with the project, then you can modify it. 

But if the workflow is shared with another project, then you have to be a Jira Administrator to be able to modify any workflow or to create a new workflow. 

1 vote
edwin vasquez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 16, 2020

Hello Aleksey,

If the workflow is shared with other projects or it isnt a simplified workflow then you wont be able to edit it unfortunately. Only the Jira Admin will be able to edit it.

Does this answer your question?

Thank you, edwin vasquez! My project's workflow is simplified one. Does it mean that I can modify it?

edwin vasquez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 16, 2020

Not if its shared. Unfortunately, it looks like the Jira Admin will have to edit for you.

Like Eugene Klaus likes this
0 votes
Pavel Adamovich
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 17, 2020

@aleksey.shishkinpermission to edit workflow without global admin permission will be introduced soon for Next-gen projects. https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/whats-new/next-gen?utm_source=product-announcement-email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=jswc-january-round-up_EML-5957&jobid=104490735&subid=1500272025#intheworks

As of now it is not possible to edit workflows without Jira admin role.

Kristoffer Bundgaard January 13, 2022

@Pavel Adamovich can't find the feature listed in the link. Are you sure?

Simon K. August 26, 2022

This "soon" might have been a little to optimistic since this answer is more than 2 years old...

Is there already a feature request we can vote for? Or is it again "soon" before completion? 🤣

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer