Adding a Parent Link to an EPIC issue

Carolyn Barbierato August 26, 2020

Hi

I have added another hierarchy (called "Initiative") and have followed the steps by adding the initiative issue type to my board and have also added it at the Level 1 hierarchy level above Epic in the Hierarchy organization screen.   I now need to add a Parent Link field to the screen that Epics use which will allow me to set the Epic as a child of the Initiative.  Does anyone have specific instructions for adding Parent Link field? 

Thanks very much

Kind Regards

Carolyn

3 answers

1 accepted

8 votes
Answer accepted
Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 27, 2020

Hi @Carolyn Barbierato 

Parent Link field is created automatically, please follow the below

• Go to your Project Settings > Screens
  • Under the Epic issue type, click to add a field to the screen. Depending on if you've separated your Issue type screen scheme
  • Search for the Parent Link field and add it
  • Navigate to the Issue view and search for the Initiative under the Parent Link to associate it.

screen.png

issue.png

Carolyn Barbierato August 27, 2020

Hi Prince

That worked perfectly, thank you very much for your response.

Kind Regards

Carolyn

Like Dave Rosenlund likes this
Greg Jorgensen July 11, 2023

Thank you for the information. I couldn't find the 'Parent Link' field to add and then discovered that it is Locked by default. 

1 vote
Elaine Cawthorne May 14, 2021

I have done all of the above steps and when I look at my parent link drop down it contains initiatves from other projects and portfolio features from other projects but none of my initiatives - is there a setting somewhere that I have missed?

Aleksandar Salevski July 22, 2021

Hi,

I have the same problem!, did you manage to solve it?

BR,

Alex

Elaine Cawthorne July 22, 2021

Hi Alex, 

we were trialling premium and someone else picked up the roadmap assesment so I can't help i'm afraid - we didn't go ahead with the purchase or I would go a look so apologies

0 votes
Samuel Bar October 18, 2021

Hi,
how can be added the Parent Link field to an Epic for Software Projects?

jono_tt January 5, 2022

Not sure if this helps anyone but I was able to link the Epic to a Parent only after adding the Issue Type to the "advanced roadmaps" hierarchy.

The confusing bit for me was that I wasn't intending to use this parent linking for "advanced roadmaps" and so even thou the setting was located in "Advanced Roadmaps", this change affected the normal JIRA issue structure too.

Screenshot 2022-01-05 at 15.11.45.png

Location of the Hierarchy is here:

https://[your-sub-domain].atlassian.net/secure/PortfolioHierarchy.jspa

NOTE: remember to change: [your-sub-domain] to whatever your subdomain for JIRA cloud.

Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2022

You're right, @jono_tt. Layers above the Epic are added to Jira with Advanced Roadmaps (which comes only with Jira Cloud Premium and Enterprise, or Jira Data Center) -OR- a number of Atlassian Marketplace apps.  It's not a built-in Jira feature.

Congrats on making it work 👍🏻

-dave 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events