Add another status to the Kanban Backlog

Mitch Kent April 27, 2018

Hi,

I have a project with a Kanban Backlog, which shows `Backlog` items, and `Selected for Development` items. These are both driven by the status of an issue.

We have a status that lives between backlog and selected for development. The project is for externals and we have a status called `Refinement` which is like a backlog item, but it has been populated with all the relevant information and is for the developers to review that it can be worked on, once this is agreed, we can move it into Selected.

Currently we can toggle a filter on/off for tickets in refinement status, however if we could have another sprint-like section between backlog and selected, this would be great. Anyone know if it is possible?

Image above has 2 sprint like sections, I am trying to add a 3rd that sits between the two.

Many thanks,

Mitch.

3 answers

5 votes
L February 25, 2021

+1

This would really help us organizing the pre-kanban organisational part. Our backlog is too big and we need more "sections" to organize things.

But maybe our current solution helps somebody:

Since you can have several boards we added a 2nd one:

• one Kanban (called Development) => for the devs
  • one Scrum Board (called Management) => for the organizational people

Since in the SCRUM board it is possible to add several sections (they are normally sprints but who cares) we use this board to organize things. We have like 5-7 sections in there... And at a certain point in time we move a story to the (scrum) backlog and then it appears in the kanban backlog (which is thus the synchronization point between the two boards).

L February 25, 2021

This is what we mean:

WhatWeMean.png

Like Fred Stark likes this
1 vote
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 27, 2018

You should go to the Board Settings -> Columns and add a new column. Then you should map a status to the column. You can find more info here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/agile064/jira-agile-user-s-guide/configuring-a-board/configuring-columns

Mitch Kent May 1, 2018

Thanks Alexey,

I specifically want it to show in the backlog view, and not on our development board.

Thanks,

Mitch.

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 1, 2018

Backlog does not have columns. It is backlog. You can not add columns to backlog.

Mitch Kent May 1, 2018

Thanks again Alexey for taking the time to respond.

I'm not talking about columns, I know backlog doesn't have columns.

However, in Kanban backlog mode, you have the backlog with two sections that look a lot like sprints if you are using scrum mode.

These two "sprint-like" sections are driven from the 2 status types `Backlog` and `Selected for development`. I was wondering if it was possible to add a third sprint-like section in between, driven by a status preferably but other means would be fine.

I hope my request is a little more clear now.

Like # people like this
Zachary Jones January 23, 2019

I hope to bring more light to this question.  We'd like to have the same thing.  I had hoped to solve it by putting 3 statuses in the 'kanban backlog' section of the board config.  I thought this might create a 3rd-horizontal-section on the backlog, with the name of the status, in the order it appeared in the 'kanban backlog' config.

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 23, 2019

@Zachary Jones, that is not an option in the backlog. There are other solutions discussed in other threads so you might want to search a bit. For example some people create a different Kanban for their “deep backlog”. They use that board as a first filter moving stuff ready to be considered for dev to the other board.

Mudit Agarwal July 19, 2019

I also need this, is there any solution to it?

victoria ricci August 23, 2019

I need this as well. It is something JIRA should really consider enhancing

Like # people like this
Eric_Forget October 2, 2019

I need it as well...

Like Andrew likes this
John Fliczuk January 7, 2020

I want it too

Like Deleted user likes this
Deleted user February 4, 2020

agreed. We use rank for priority. This model is basically maintaining that priority through statuses in a single vertical page. it is in a way the same as kanban with columns, only visualized in a much more streamlined way. I am trying to build this too.

Bodavo February 4, 2020

We would need this as well! The problem with the regular board is, for example, that when you move one story with visible subtasks to another column, then the subtasks remain there. However, in the backlog you have the possibility to move a story with all its subtask to another status.

John Corfield February 7, 2020

We would like this feature as well.  We would want status sections in both the kanban and scrum backlogs represented in the order from top to bottom that we assigned the statuses in the columns config.

Rémi Lamotte March 2, 2020

Same problem here.

It's hard to priorize a big number of tasks in the Kanban View because of the size of each element. Backlog view is much better when we need to see a huge number of tasks.

In our case, we have 4 status "Open, Qualified, In Conception, Ready to Dev" and we need to priorize these 4 tasks groups and their tasks. It would be very nice to have a "custom backlog view" with as much group of tasks as necessary (and to be able to also see them in kanban in the same order) 

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 1, 2018

@Mitch Kent, I did something a few years back that was similar to what you are speaking of however ultimately I found it too cumbersome.

Basically, I had a rather complex workflow with two main focuses and two boards. The first covered statuses that applied to the Product Management team and the second with Development. The PM team would guide the issues thru the assessment and requirements stage and then finally land them in Selected for Development (right most column). The Dev board began with this status so it was the Backlog. Then the Dev team  would basically select from the Backlog and place into the sprint.

In summary you could easily use another status, label, custom field and use that to exclude issues into a refinement Backlog and manage with two boards. However, as Alexey conveyed, it can be done on a single board.

Mitch Kent May 1, 2018

Thanks Jack,

What I'm trying to achieve could be done within a single board, hopefully, I was just trying to prevent things from showing up on our board if they are not yet "Ready".

In scrum previously this was achieved by creating a sprint or two back in the backlog, BA/PM/PO could put the tickets in those psuedo-sprints, and dev team would be refining those tickets prior to sprint start. I want to replicate this by having a backlog that we can see what tickets are candidates for "selected for development" but without polluting our kanban board.

The only way I know how is, as you point out, filtering based on status (or label/field) but it would be nice if there was a permanent visual way of displaying these in the backlog view.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 1, 2018

In Kanban world (as it exists today) you are not going to be able to create another 'section' in the backlog. Scrum is obviously different and does allow you that level of planning by using multiple sprints in the backlog view.

With Kanban if you want it on a single board then you could simply use a label, something like this:

1. Add a label for every issue when first created, e.g. "refine" 
  2. Display labels on the cards in the backlog (this can get messy for sure if you use a lot of labels so you could consider a custom field)
  3. Keep all "refine" issues ranked at the bottom of backlog
  4. When an issue has been 'refined' remove the label and rank the issue w/in the 'refined' issue list
  5. when ready move the issue to Selected for Development

Messy, and I wouldn't go there personally but that would be a single board solution. Personally, I would opt for two board solution unless my 'deep backlog' needs were few. My two board solution would actually be a status called NMI (need more info), exclude NMI from the Dev board and have the other board be only NMI. When i'm ready I transition an issue from NMI to ToDo.

Mitch Kent May 1, 2018

Thanks Jack - it was a hopeful request, rather than an expectant one :)

I will likely do as you suggest, but with a quick filter based on status type in backlog view - this was always my backup plan. Alternatively I may create a column for it in our board so that it means we're aware of it, but I'll discuss that with my team first - it's still early days so we'll work it out as we go :)

Thanks again.

Like Manuel Henrich likes this
Eric_Forget October 2, 2019

oh gosh Jira is so painfull ....

Like # people like this
Rodrigo de Medeiros Gianotto January 6, 2020

Is there any issue to vote on? 

Sometimes it is easy to view items in the backlog view, that is the point. 

Ed Campbell June 12, 2020

No idea why this isn't a thing yet. You can do this with SCRUM boards by creating multiple sprints and dropping the issues into the corresponding areas. Why on earth is this functionality not extrapolated for Kanbans. I have three different statuses that do not need to be appearing on the board yet, but I do want to arrange them in the backlog view.

Like # people like this
Justina Schiroo October 16, 2020

We'd really like this feature. I know may not be considered "pure" kanban, but it's how we want to work.

We have a huge backlog, and we'd like to keep our "future work" separated from what we're considering doing next in a way that is easier to do than just moving individual stories up and down in the backlog itself. Sort of like "on deck" work, as opposed to future - it still needs some details/grooming, but it's the basic idea of what the devs want to do next.

Like # people like this
Lawrence Sarkar October 28, 2020

I'd also really like to see this feature implemented. I believe it adds value for teams that are implementing a hybrid Kanban / Scrum workflow, and also for breaking down large backlogs

Given the popularity of this request, it would be good to see this on the Atlassian roadmap and scheduled for a future release :)

Like Jackie Walchuck likes this
Riya Sharma February 10, 2022

I would like to see more than just the "backlog" in the backlog as well.  It is strange that it shows one other status and that cannot be removed. 

Suggest an answer