Update on Jira email notifications

75 comments

Catherine Lyman March 3, 2020

+1 for batching, and for configuring how batching happens

Nicola Richards March 3, 2020

I'm also concerned about those that have turned the notifications off, and as an admin user wonder if it's possible to be notified when this happens, and which notification the user has updated?

Arlene March 3, 2020

+1 for batching

Is "admin" here project admin or site-admin? It would make sense to let the project admin or project lead know that some project team members' notifications are turned off for their project. But site-admins shouldn't (given the number of things happening in the site).

Can a project admin/lead then override this option for their projects? This is becoming really messy imo.

Ken Ku-Chih March 3, 2020

Agree with the majority of posts - would not recommend giving users the ability to turn off notifications for events that need their attention (e.g. @mentions and watchers). 

Users that don't live in Jira all the time will miss things.

Jo Pinto March 3, 2020

I'm glad you can have more control on which notifications you get. 

Next step would be more options like the digest or summary which some have commented on already.
Unfortunately, by the time this has been released, my needs have changed.

We are moving away from email. The bombardment of notifications meant I had to go looking for a better solution. 

Now I just get any @mentions sent to Slack. This would be a better solution. I'm currently using a 3rd party app to make this happen. 

David Green March 3, 2020

Don't send me 5 different emails when someone makes 5 changes to the same JIRA in the space of ten minutes - just summarise and send one email per JIRA if the changes occur within (say) 15 minutes (or ideally a configurable interval).

Deleted user March 3, 2020

I agree with what @Boris Berenberg - Atlas Authority  has said, and also what @David Green has said.

There was also a comment about being able to not be notified of all the sprint planning tickets etc, and that would be good too!

Also, you need the same options to be available for here please!

mythili
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 3, 2020

Thanks for all your feedback on Jira email notifications. As a first step we wanted to give end user the option to decide what he/she wants to be notified about.  This means the user settings will take precedence over the settings in the notification schemes and today there is no way for an admin to know if a user has turned off notifications.

As a next step we plan to introduce project level notifications for next-gen projects that allow project admins to configure whom to notify of what changes.

Beyond that we will definitely look into some of the suggestions proposed here - like batching, grouping. However there are no immediate plans to let an admin know that user(s) have turned off notifications. 

James Aiken March 3, 2020

These don't help, need to stop sending emails for ridiculous little changes to the ticket!  Send emails for new activities and maybe one summary email for the little things.  It's crazy the number of nonsense emails I get from Jira!

David Green March 3, 2020

What would make it really useful, would be if the user could determine both the frequency of the batched emails received, and also which individual JIRA fields do or do not trigger a notification for them individually (or at a push the fields could be an admin choice). 
Can appreciate that might be some effort in design though.

Markus Vogel March 3, 2020

+1 for batching

Configurable interval (e.g. 15 min or 1 hr or 1 day) would be great

Kasia Polus March 3, 2020

+1 @Marko Jansen 

if only I could turn off, or receive in a batch all the unnecessary no-comment updates, that would be great! 

Fredrik March 3, 2020

+1 for daily digest / batch emails.

When you watch/follow or is the assignee or reporter on an issue of course you want to get notifications. However the problem arises for instance when someone does a bit of house keeping in one or more JIRA boards and you end up getting 50+ emails, this is both stressful and unnecessary and could be easily solved if emails within a certain timeframe e.g. 10 minutes were batched into one summary with a list showing all changes.

Anoop_Singh March 3, 2020

daily digest

Eman Aburob March 3, 2020

I want to get notified from Jira Service Desk (JSD) customer notifications.

Laurent Di Cesare March 3, 2020

+1 @[deleted] 

The notification panel inside jira is the single thing I'd love to be able to get rid of.

Batches would be great, but in my case, that's only when setting up a scrum, which means stories are changed in priority and some rather uninteresting field (story point estimates) have been changed. Either batching or not being notified based on these (priority, specific fields) would be nice.

Torben_Larsen March 3, 2020

I agree with @Marko Jansen 

Bunch updates into one email, instead of spamming every change would be very much appreciated!

While the new changes are a indeed a nice start, it does not change anything for me. There are changes i'm not interested in, and then there are changes that I am interrested in. I cannot control which notifications I get which is really what I want.

Batch all changes made within the last day / hour into one email please, and let me decide which changes I want a notification for.

Bastian Gurtner March 4, 2020

I am tempted to deactivate some of them but I am hesitating because I don't want to miss something. what about a digest? and we can set the frequency (daily, twice a day, every two hours). it would be nice

Marc Nicolàs i Aragó March 4, 2020

Great to know it, thanks!

Stefan Spiel March 4, 2020

Thanks for the update.

Even more helpful, in my case, would be the addition of 1 - 3 "Reminder" dates to tickets <=> "send an E-Mail Reminder to the one the ticket is assigned to x days / x hours before due date, if the task is not finished yet"

Bastian Gurtner March 4, 2020

@Stefan Spiel, totally agree on that one!

brian_kessler March 4, 2020

What I think would be *really* useful is a "digest" option which would allow me to received all the notifications in a bundle once per day/week.

Gorkshanath_Godage March 4, 2020

Can Admin have an option to receive a consolidated report of all JIRA tickets edited/marked on his/her name every EOD?

Torben_Larsen March 4, 2020

Off-topic, sort of.

I find it funny, that a community post, on how you can limit notifications, spams me with notifications, every time someone comments on it, regardless if I were tagged or not in that comment. ALL comments -> notification mail.

Please Atlassian, control yourself!

Charlotte Vanden Bussche March 4, 2020

Agree with Marko, it would be great if notifications don't trigger individual emails especially if there's a high amount of daily updates. 
What would also be great is being able to define what changes are worth a notification for you:
- changing the description of a jira issue: Yes
- update to the labels of a jira issue: No

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events