More space for apps on the issue view in Jira Cloud

Hello Atlassian community,

I’m Ahmud, a product manager on the issue experience team in Jira Cloud. Today we’re announcing a change in how we display app information on the issue view.

What’s happening?

From March 13, 2023, issues will no longer display app information in glances. Instead, app information will be in expandable and collapsible groups. These groups will make the issue view more consistent with the old issue view and Jira Server, and reduce the number of clicks to update important fields.

GIF.gif

Why is this happening?

We received feedback that it can be hard to find app fields, so we’re ensuring your most important fields are visible whenever you want. Instead of your app information being hidden in a glance, you can keep it expanded in a group. Of course, if you don’t want to see the app information all the time, you can always collapse the group. What you see or don’t see is up to you.

When is it happening?

From March 13, 2023, Marketplace partners will have 6 months to adopt this change. Some apps might still have their information hidden behind a glance during this time. You’ll see app information in groups when the apps you use adopt this change.

What do I need to do?

No immediate next steps unless you’re a Marketplace partner.

We hope these changes will improve your Jira experience and make it easier for you to work. If you have any questions or feedback, let us know in the comments below.

Thanks,

Ahmud Auleear
Product Manager-Jira Issue View

4 comments

Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 3, 2023

Thanks @Ahmud Auleear  - I think I am in 2 minds about this ... but mostly happy with this :)

2 minds because I have not set up an issue glance yet in our private custom connect app and would like some clarity before we do:

- if we want to add issue glance in our custom app, does this still apply? https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/modules/issue-glance/ 

- is the "iframe" view the same as it was in past behaviour?

- will the glance "lozenge" still appear the same but on the group title on the right?

- can the various app order of display be changed? and if so, is it ordered on a per user basis? and can it be order above the Details / More fields field groups?

Thank you for this change though - I am looking forward to it!

Jacques March 3, 2023

The only part of this announcement that sticks with me is the following:

...will make the issue view more consistent with the old issue view.

Not sure why this old issue view was so "old" that it had to be replaced. 

Like # people like this
Alex Viale March 6, 2023

@Ahmud Auleear could you explain this more, perhaps with a different video? I'm not sure i understand the before vs after for how apps show up. What should marketplace partners be doing with this?

Leonard Hussey May 22, 2023

This change is welcome. Looks better. More Organized.

But, even more welcome -- even before this collapsible topic -- would be to have what is a constant pain for many: Many marketplace apps do not allow setting a project black-/white-list.

Meaning: being able to configure which projects can have access to desired 3rd party apps.

I work on a multi project cloud instance hosting everything: Operations, Sales, Support, Professional Services, Finance, Development, etc.

We are forced to have MANY 3rd party Add-Ons being displayed globally in projects that don't make sense. For example: what will Sales need to do with Git integration? or what will Finance need to do with Gantt applications? (our use cases)

Jira should allow -- on a per-project basis -- to be able to hide 3rd party add-ons that are not needed.

If left to Marketplace providers (very few do), it means all projects get their context pane clogged by countless 3rd party apps that are not needed. Alternatively, require all marketplace providers to include a visibility setting to select which projects can use the add-on.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events