Best Practices: Strategies for Defining your JIRA Projects

82 comments

Christine Nguyen September 23, 2022

Hello All,

While searching for an answer, I stumbled on this post and the comment chain and found a comment/discussion that describes the situation that I am looking for an answer  from Erdogan (below).  I am wondering if anyone or if there is an updated post somewhere that have suggestion on the best strategy on organize projects in this situation?  Any suggestion or response is appreciated. Thanks

Dear all!

Lets assume we are living in an ideal world and i would like to setup one Jira project for all developing issues for multiple products and BAU tasks too.

But the reality is completely different. There are teams which are working agile and other teams not agile. Our aim is to setup corporate workflows and one project.

Other business projects or departments will be setup in different projects with its own workflows.

There are several crossfunctional teams working on that issues.

Which restrictions, pitfalls or problems could arise regarding components, releases, boards in that one project for all developing tasks even if the product are separately releasable?

What would you prefer to setup on this constellation.

I appreciate your help and im looking forward to get an answer.

Like Gilles likes this
Thayne Munson September 23, 2022

I am using Advanced Roadmaps to help deal with this crossfunctional (cross team) scenario.  We have built 2 issue layers above the jira epic level (Capability and Strategic Initiative) in Roadmaps.  Each participating team links their epics to the same Capability which gives a complete view of the project.  Our PMO group is really happy to have these types of views available.  

Like Michael Adams likes this
Cecilia Lopez Manzano October 4, 2022

Hi @Matthew Wong ,

I am an IT PM and I'm new to Jira.

I just joined a new company where they use Jira and would like to organize/estructure issues more efficiently, but I'm not certain what's the best approach. Hope you can help.

We have different product customazation initiatives per client. As far as I could see there aren't many issues per initiave and the duration is short (2/4 months). 

I work with a cross-functional team, who use the tool on a daily basis. 

I'd like to be able to share issues with clients, in a safe and confidential way, while also keeping track of ALL client related issues and reporting at macro level. 

However, I don't want to compromise the simplicity/practicality for other users (my team). 

What would be the most convenient approach in your opinion for organizing issues? Having 1 project per client? Can I have a board to visualize issues accross projects without having to create an additional/separate project? 

Please let me know what are your thoughts.

Thanks!

Cheers! 

Christine Nguyen December 21, 2022

@Thayne Munson  I like the response you posted and think it is something that I can apply to our organization 

your response was

I am using Advanced Roadmaps to help deal with this crossfunctional (cross team) scenario.  We have built 2 issue layers above the jira epic level (Capability and Strategic Initiative) in Roadmaps.  Each participating team links their epics to the same Capability which gives a complete view of the project.  Our PMO group is really happy to have these types of views available.  

Would you expand more on how do you use the “capacity “ layer to help with capacity view in advanced roadmap ? 

I can create the issue layer called “capacity “ but wondering how do you use it ?

Thanks

Like Kalin U likes this
Thayne Munson December 22, 2022

I use the 'Sprint Capacity Management' view that is standard in roadmaps plans.  To make this view effective, you have to add the TEAM field to your Jira project detail view and populate every task with your 'Team Name'.  Then, goto roadmaps, go to Teams and update this Team Name with your sprint velocity.  Roadmaps will calculate how many story points you have in a given sprint and then compare that to the teams velocity (see screenshot).  This does require you to build out your Future Sprints (sprint backlog) in your Jira board.  It is a pretty slick view and I use it all the time to gauge our capacity for new work. As you can tell, sprint 91 and 92 are already over our capacity (450 story points)

Thayne Munson

Capture.PNG

Carmen Fernandes January 13, 2023

Na criação de um novo projeto, existe a possibilidade de personalizar campos alem do padrao de empresa, nome projeto e responsavel?

Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 21, 2023

Great article, thanks for sharing!

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events