A better navigation for Jira Cloud is coming soon [available now]

241 comments

Julie_Estoria February 11, 2020

Can you confirm if that the current plugins especially Zephyr for Jira Cloud will still work and won't get lost in the navigation? 

Thanks

Maru February 11, 2020

Is there a Japanese version of this announcement?

Omkar Lele February 11, 2020

@Matt Tse It's OK but not all the way new as it is similar to the server version of Jira.

dom February 11, 2020

LOVE Jira .... thank you for the hard work! ♥️

Deepak Heggade February 11, 2020

Ahhhh..! Back to top nav.

Thanks a ton. God bless you Jira

Axel RIGAL February 12, 2020

It seems nice ! :)

Johan Coppieters February 12, 2020

Thanks for the nice navigation improvement work !

Any chance we get a better integration with bitbucket? Now this is just a hacked on, totally separate (paying) product which happens to have the same username/password.

No better integration than let's say using Github.

Please....

chris.whyatt February 12, 2020

I like the new interface, I always felt the current / old UX was too clunky.

Ornella Renzulli February 12, 2020

loved it!

Steve_Matthews February 12, 2020

It's awesome to see you guys approaching these design challenges. They're big for sure, but I think you're tackling some of the biggest pain points in JIRA head on. Good luck! 

Patrick Rach February 12, 2020

What kind of impacts will this have to Customer Portals for Service Desk? I know the main intent is Jira instead of portal.

Phil W February 12, 2020

The problem I face with this is that it takes up more vertical space - when you're using a wide aspect monitor (e.g. laptop display) vertical height is at a premium. When we look at the active sprint details, for example, there's hardly any room for the issue cards (can only see a couple of rows already, even with the old navigation arrangement).

Can we get the same new navigation as a side-bar please?

G February 13, 2020

For Phil’s concern, it would be nice to be able to collapse the top horizontal nav when needed (a way to hide it and a small hamburger menu icon remains in the white space... gives us more use of the real estate when needed).

However, to echo many others, you should bury "Your Work" and "People" (especially while People is still being built out).  Anyone that actually knows how to use Jira will prefer a dashboard over "Your Work" .... they will set it up to be customized exactly the way that they want.  Sorry, my post was not originally going through due to formatting and now it split.

G February 13, 2020

Make the top bar only have Projects, Filters, Dashboards, Create and the Search Box. Regular users never need to go to Apps or People. Admins should just be clicking the . on their keyboard as a shortcut to get to all of the important places that they need to be to administer things like apps. When you click the logo, you get to "Your Work" anyway... just get rid of that using real estate. Now you will have a super clean UI. If you really want to bring back People later, you can... but no one needs to use that ever (they can just hover on a profile card and click into "View Profile" if they care about that information... it is always driven by a Jira issue first... no one is just hanging out in "People")... and if they really want to peruse it, they can click it at the bottom of the search section (the place that you have relegated Boards).

On a positive note, @Matt Tse thank you very very much for actually engaging with us over this change. We are all really appreciate of your responsiveness and I hope that you get rewarded, that your colleagues strive to emulate you, and we can make Jira/Confluence Cloud better every day (ship faster, listen to the users with these feedback loops, and change course... be truly agile). Sorry about the long post everyone.

Maru February 13, 2020

@Matt Tse  Is there a Japanese version of this announcement? 

krishna_kumar February 15, 2020

thank Atlassian team 

Matt Tse
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 18, 2020

@krishna ,

If you’re signed up for our Early Access Program (EAP), please disable the Atlassian Chrome extension as it might be conflicting with the official build. Please note that the Chrome extension was built purely as a proof of concept for us to test and share the designs early with customers. We will not be improving the extension, so if there are bugs that prevent you from doing your work, we would recommend turning it off and sticking with the current navigation for the time being.

@Mark Long ,

Thanks for being part of our EAP. We’re so glad to hear the improvements are resonating with you. We can’t wait to get this out to more customers as well!

@coderdiaz , @Peter Babel ,

We're building up interest in bringing a dark mode to Jira. If you haven't already, please check out our public Jira issue and follow it for the latest progress: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-63150.

@Nikos Dimitrakopoulos ,

We think so too! If you have any feedback you’d like to share about the old experience, we’d be more than happy to hear it. Feel free to email me at mtse[at]atlassian[dot]com.

@Kristine Johnson , 

These changes will not impact the current issue view experience; however, the Create button will be a lot more obvious and accessible from the top. Depending on how your Jira instance has been setup, you should be able to use the (c) shortcut to Create an issue and create a link directly.

@Stephen T ,

These changes will impact both Classic and Next-gen projects. They will also be in effect for all our Jira Cloud products: Jira Software, Jira Service Desk, and Jira Core.

@nathan ,

While we’re also excited about the improvements these changes are bringing, we know how equally (if not more) important it is that our customers and users feel in control of the changes. This is why we’re starting with the experience off by default so that we can minimise the disruption caused and allow users the time to learn and switch over when it’s most convenient.

@Patrick Nelson ,

Not to worry, the issue view/edit/create experience will not be impacted by these changes we’re making to the navigation UI. If you do have feedback about the issue view experience, please visit JRACLOUD-70555 - New Issue View in Jira Cloud

@David Aguilera ,

One of our key values at Atlassian is to do right for our customers. In this instance, we received overwhelming feedback from customers that the current navigation in Jira Cloud was limiting. To do right for you we designed a new navigation that over 95% of early testers preferred over the current one. We understand that change can be tiresome. To minimize the impact of this change we want to put you in the driver seat and give you flexibility when you roll out the change. If you want the new navigation early, you can sign up for our early access program or opt-out until a later date. We also are letting you know now (many months beforehand) so you can plan accordingly and minimize any disruptions.

@Yashika ,

I've checked with our team and we would recommend checking out  https://catchsoftware.com/ as they are based in Auckland.

@Reginald Mullin ,

Who doesn’t love the holidays?! We’re so happy to hear that you’re excited. We are too. Once the new navigation is made available to your site, please let us know how you go!

Matt Tse
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 18, 2020

@Julie_Estoria ,

Yes! Apps will function exactly the same as they do today. We will be making them more accessible and easier to access by having them grouped into the global navigation menu. Having it here makes it easier to access the Apps from anywhere in Jira. 

@Maru ,

We do not have this announcement translated in Japanese. I’m checking with our localisation team to see if this is possible. For the time being, our official documentation is partially translated: https://ja.confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/new-jira-cloud-navigation-983502691.html.

If you have any further questions, please email me directly at mtse[at]atlassian.com

@Omkar Lele ,

You got that right. It’s not exactly the same as the server/DC version, but we feel strongly about it being a major improvement over the current experience.

@dom ,

And we love you! Especially for taking the time to check out this article and share your positivity :) Thanks!

@Deepak Heggade ,

We’re equally as excited! Thanks for stopping by!

@Johan Coppieters ,

Thanks! What sort of better integration are you looking for? If you’d like, feel free to email me with details and I can try and find the right person for you to chat with.

@chris.whyatt ,

Thanks! We’re excited to have you use it. If you have any feedback you’d like to share about the current experience, feel free to send me a message at mtse[at]atlassian[dot]com.

@Steve_Matthews ,

Thanks for the encouragement and positivity! We can’t wait for you to start using it!

@Patrick Rach ,

Hey Patrick, I can confirm that these changes won’t have any impact to the Customer Portal experience from Jira Service Desk.

@Phil Weighill-Smith ,

We hear you on the spacing and we ourselves are used to using Jira on wider aspect ratios. Would you be interested in a follow-up chat about how the vertical spacing impacts your use of Jira today? It would be great to have one of our designers on the call to better understand your use case. If so, please email me at mtse[at]atlassian.com and we can set up some time.

@G ,

First of all, I love the passion and energy you put into your responses Greg. You’ll never hear me complain from me on reading long comments! Thank you so much for providing such rich and thoughtful feedback.

These are all very interesting suggestions and trust that I will take these to heart and bring them to our team for consideration and further discussion. Our product has grown significantly over the years and we’ve been blessed to see it used in so many beautiful and brilliant ways. It always blows my mind to see how customers are using Jira to make their work flow better. With this growth and entrance into new markets, we’ve also seen how diverse our customer base has become. Because of this, we’re often making numerous tradeoffs both locally and globally to try and please as many of our users as possible. I can emphasize with the sentiment around the People item and it’s something I will bring up to the team to see if/how we might make this better.

Regarding your comments around the Your work page and Dashboards. I completely agree that Dashboards has some amazing utility provided it’s set up correctly. Our intent with the ‘Your work’ page was to help individual contributors find and resume their work more quickly. When we shipped this ~4 months ago, we were able to see a significant uptick in this set of users getting back to their work (i.e., issues) more quickly. I know there’s a lot more we could do to make it useful for other segments. Given that this is a work in progress still, I would love to follow up with you directly about your use of Dashboards, permitted you have the time. Let me know if you’d like to chat and I’ll send you an invite.

Last but certainly not least, there really is no need to thank me for engaging with you and the rest of our customers. This is truly one of the best parts about being a product manager and something I wake up and look forward to each and every day. Thank you again for your time and commitment to us and hopefully, we can chat soon!

Christina Fausbøll February 19, 2020

Funny you call it the new navigation. You are only bringing back what we have missed since you canged it a few years ago in the cloud. 

Looking forward to having the old navigation back. 

Lwin Myo Thu February 27, 2020

Great experience! I can't wait too.

Igor February 27, 2020

Looks great!

Phil W February 27, 2020

@Matt Tse I would be happy to have a follow-up session to discuss the wide aspect screen usage issues I mentioned.

David Bekkerus February 27, 2020

I wish I could control the column widths more on the pivot report. Seems like that would be a good improvement. Not just adding or removing them.

Dennis Walsh February 27, 2020

I appreciate the statement that "We are also putting you in control of this change. Once your instance receives the new navigation, each of your users will be able to switch over to the new navigation on their own timeframe."  These changes look promising, but users still like to at least feel like they're in charge of their environment.

This is much better than the "just get used to it" approach used by certain "other" software companies (which shall remain nameless) who simply force-feed all of their "enhancements" on their users in one swoop, leaving the users either powerless to undo things, or -best case- forced to flail about and try to figure out on their own how to get their interface back to the way they want it.

Maicol Parker-Chavez February 27, 2020

I just started my account about a week ago and excited to see this new updates.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events